Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion p6 2370ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There is an 'x' on the little sound icon on the task bar and when I click it and run troubleshooter I get no joy. when I hover over the X it says 'No Audio Output Device is installed.

In Device Manager there is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark. 

I've tried uninstall/reinstall of the driver but it doesn't work and it says 'hardware changes may not have been detected' 'fixed', but still no sound. I have been to HP site and tried the windows 8 and 8.1 versions but message says not compatible.

Most of the solutions are for windows 10 preview and don't work either.

I teach and really need this fixed asap if possible please it's my job on the line. No sound is a disaster.

Oh, when I instal a webcam the sound indicator things go up and down so maybe there is sound input but no sound output? I use headphones but nothing shows up in 'Playback Devices'

Thank you to anyone who can help someone with no clue.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I have a similar situation,  Nearly all the sound options work except the Scanner (police and that) kind I had plugged into the mic jack (in the back) which worked prefectly fine with Win8.1 (and previous releases)  I have tried other jacks/ports, ie Line in and the front mic jack (changing the options on the IDT control panel)   I get the same error about an audio device not being installed....   I went to the support site to look for updated (Win10) drivers, and none were found...

@pizzagirl4 wrote:

There is an 'x' on the little sound icon on the task bar and when I click it and run troubleshooter I get no joy. when I hover over the X it says 'No Audio Output Device is installed.

In Device Manager there is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark.

I no longer have the red "X" on the system tray icon

My exclaimation mark is next to an Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

HP Recommended

I just upgraded to Win10 and got the same error message.  I fixed the problem by installing the Win8.1 driver.  You cannot run the SoftPaq executable directly or you'll get an unsupported message.  You must 1st extract the package; I used 7zip that is a free download.  Then navigate through all the folders until you find setup.exe.  After installing and rebooting, problem fixed.  Hope this works for you.   

HP Recommended

I had tried a few times to UPDATE the driver for the IDT Codec, each time getting the result that the current driver was up-to-date.  So, I tried doing the RollBack (which I thought silly, however... Viola?  well...   I had also just updated my "Tweak8" to Tweak10 and ran a few of the tools that I oft did since that program was born.   One or the other of these mended the problem (I suspect Tweak did most of the fixin' as a few other little "quirks" were remedied after running some of Tweaks tools/utilities. 

All now is good.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem, I just restart the computer and everything was perfect! Try this, we never know

HP Recommended

Update:

The Win8.1 driver had some wierd side effects and didn't work out after all.  However, similar to the other post, I uninstalled the driver, opting to delete the current driver, and rebooted.  Subsequently, going into the device manager, the inbox IDT driver automatically installed and the sound came back.  This seems to be the best solution, "rolling back" to the original driver.

HP Recommended

I think you all sincerely I do for your efforts but still no joy. I will try rolling back windows to won 8 and then wait until win 10 has grown up a bit!

Really, even though I don't know what somne thing s meant, I do thank you all; I just wish I was 1/4 as clever.

Mal (noob 🙂

HP Recommended

I resored my computer and now have an error message OX8007001f and no sound.  As near as I can tell the software for IDT High Definition Audio CodeC has been lost.  Would you please instruct me on how to correct this error messageand, reload the missing software.. I have an HP cpmputer 700-056, Prod Number H5Q15AA#ABA, Microprossor AMD A10-6700 APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 12 GB Memory.

[Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

sound problems

IDT-Audio Device-IDT    High Definition Audio Dodec-- Error ox8007001f        also have a line thru my speaker at bottom that says no audio output device installed,,,,, windows 10... help please

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.