Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

I have an HP Elite with an HP Radeon HD 6570 graphics card running 2 monitors and wish to connect a 3rd monitor.

1st monitor on the DVI port

2nd monitor display port to DVI adaptor

3rd monitor display port to DVI adaptor

3 x Iiyama 22” HD Screens running at 1920 x 1080

The spec for the HD 6570 indicates it will support 3 screens (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13967_na/13967_na.PDF)

On connecting the 3rd screen only two work, you can combine any of the 2 from 3 indicating there is no hardware issue with the third port on the graphics card or the 3rd monitor.

I have updated to the latest catalyst driver from AMD’s web site.

What am I missing here? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards

Kevin

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Kevin_99,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you are trying to connect a 3rd monitor to your HP Elite which has the AMD Radeon HD 6570 DP (1GB) PCIe x16 Card. I am providing you with a link to the AMD Radeon HD 6570 DP (1GB) PCIe x16 Graphics Card (QP027AT) - Specifications and Warranty page which states under the features that the card "Provides Dual-Link (DL) DVI-I and two DisplayPort output ports (useable at the same time)".

This indicates that the card supports only 2 monitors at a time, but that does not mean you cannot use more than one monitor. I am also providing you with an HP Support document: Using Two or More Monitors with One Computer (Windows 😎, which states "If you must add a second video card to your computer to gain another video connection, make sure both video cards use the same Windows 8 compliant (WDDM) driver. One way to ensure this is to use the same video card model for both video connections.". This means you need to install a second video card (be best if you could install the same card so as to ensure compliancy).

If the second video card is not an option for you then you can also try to use the HDMI port use the DisplayPort in its native mode. To do this, simply buy an ACTIVE DisplayPort to DVI or DisplayPort to VGA adapter and connect your third monitor. A passive adapter (most of the cheap DisplayPort to DVI adapters) will not work as the card must rely on a compatibility mode that conflicts with the other 2 monitors.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a wonderful day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

Hi Dunidar

Thank you for your response.

You state 'This indicates that the card supports only 2 monitors at a time' however this conflicts with the specification document http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13967_na/13967_na.PDF where it states

'Board display options Supports three displays'

You also contradict the 'card supports only 2 monitors at a time' with a later statement  'simply buy an ACTIVE DisplayPort to DVI or DisplayPort to VGA adapter and connect your third monitor'

Are you saying that the card will support a maximum of 2 monitors if the monitors are used with the HDMI port and passive Display Port adapters, while 3 monitors requires at least 1 active  Display Port adapter.

So, can i connect 1st monitor to HDMI, second monitot to Display Port with passive adapter and 3rd monitor to Display Port with active adapter and extend the desktop over 3 monitors ?

I'm currently using 2 of the HP Display Port to HDMI adapters that were supplied with the Elite 7300's, I can't find a spec sheet for these so I guess they must be the passive (cheap) type.

Regards

Kevin

HP Recommended

Hello again Kevin_99,

I can understand that confusion as the issue and solution are not exactly straightforward.

In regards to your first statement I linked you directly to the AMD page for that graphics card and where the confusion seems to be is in the "(useable at the same time)" portion of the statement. According to the AMD site only 2 monitors are usuable at one time. Having numerious other connections may have uses I can only assume if you are wanting to move the display from one screen to another.

In regards to the rest I provided you with an HP Support document that will walk you through the process of connecting two or more monitors, and I would suggest you review it and follow the instructions as it would be your best option.

I hope this clears things up a bit. Thank you again for your posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.

Well that is a clear as mud, the spec says it supports 3 monitors, you say it supports only 2 according to AMD's web site, and into the mix is passive and active DisplyPort adapters, the HP support document makes no mention of DisplyPorts and appears to indicate additional cards are required.

From AMD's web site we found the 6570 chipset supports a maximum of  6 (six) video signals, this can be 6 DisplayPort signals or a combination of 1 or 2 legacy non DisplayPort signals with the remainder being DisplayPort signals. You are limited to running 2 legacy screens (VGA, DVI, HDMI), to use 3 or more screens then you require an active DisplayPort adapter.

AMD have a video on youtube that explains all this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf0X0lNFmgw

As our HP card has 1 HDMI port and 2 DisplayPorts we can use 3 screens

1st monitor on the DVI port

2nd monitor DisplayPort (passive) DVI adaptor

3rd monitor DisplayPort (active) DVI adaptor

We purchased an active DisplayPort adapter and it works

Regards

Kevin

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.