Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Something is wrong with my monitor.  It looks like not all of the pixiles are lighting up on the left side.  It looks like there is a gradient effect on my computer. Sometimes it goes away at random, but it is usually there.  I tried switching monitors and it only happens on this HP Pavillion 23bw.  Is there a way to fix it or send away for a new one? 

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended

Hello GreenCherries,

On the left side of the monitor you state it looks like pixels are not all lighting up, is that correct? I will try to help you.

Have you tested this monitor to a different video cable, or does that cable work fine with other monitors?

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

I tried a different cable and still the same problem.  It also burns after images into the screen. They go away after a while but it is really annoying. This is a pretty new monitor too. 

HP Recommended

GreenCherries,

Sounds like an issue with monitor since the imaging is being burned in. You state this is a new monitor, so if you have had it for less than 1 year contact the HP support desk. They normally just replace the monitors.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same issue as “hp pavilion 23bw Screen Problem “

e.g. it looks like not all of the pixels are lighting up on the left side.  It looks like there is a gradient effect….

Did you figure out why, or is it a quality issue?

HP Recommended

Hello LeftSideDimPavi,

I understand that you are have a display quality issue, where not all the pixels are lighting up on the left side. Please make sure that all these steps have been completed.

1) Tried connecting the monitor with a different video cable?
2) Does this video cable work with another monitor?
3) Have you tried plugging the monitor into a different outlet?

I have included the following document 'Display Quality Issues'. Please click on the option for General troubleshooting tip for display quality issues, and make sure that the latest drivers are installed.

If the above steps fail to resolve the issue, please call technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl. For repair/ replacement options that are available.

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
as same issue as u
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my 8 month old 23bw monitor.  Some lines of red subpixels are out on the left side of the display.  This gives the left third of the display a slight bluish tint due to not enough red in the mix (it takes equal parts of red, blue and green to make white).

So, as you suggested for this problem, I tried a number of things to isolate the problem to the monitor...

1.  Powered off, unplugged monitor and powered back on.

2.  Swapped HDMI cables.

3.  Reinstalled the video driver.

I did step 3 even though I'm using it as an external monitor connected to a 17-inch Notebook and it's display does not exhibit the problem.

To further prove it's the monitor at fault I connected my iPad to the display and again I saw the same bluish tint on the left side of the 23bw display.

So, again as you suggested, I called HP tech support.  After explaining everything I had tried the tech rep started going through his checklist.  The first thing he suggested was that I power down my computer!  That was after almost 10 minutes on the phone explaining the problem and what I had already done to prove it is the monitor that's bad.

Out of exasperation I told the tech rep that I would take the monitor to Office Depot, because I had seen on the HP website that there are several of their stores who are authorized service representatives for HP.  At least that got me off the phone.  But I found out later that Office Depot won't test the monitor unless I had bought their warranty coverage.  Makes me wonder why they are shown on the website as an "authorized service representative" if they can't do any work under the HP warranty coverage.

So now I'm bracing myself for an hour or two on the phone next week to convince an HP tech rep that, yep, the monitor really is bad so they will send me a box to return it for a new one.

HP Recommended

This morning the monitor started working fine again.  At first it lasted only 10 minutes, but next time I brought the Notebook out of sleep mode, the display was good and it has been solid for about an hour.  Don't know how long it will last.

Even though the problem didn't show up for 8 months, I'm beginning to suspect that the TV on the left side of my computer hutch may be throwing out a big magnetic field that could have affected the monitor over time.  Although there is wood on the side of the hutch, the monitor sits only about 8 inches away from the monitor.  So today I taped a piece of aluminum foil to the side of the hutch.  Now it's wait and see how long the monitor will stay good.

HP Recommended

Monitor went "bluey" again yesterday.  It still seems to me that the aluminum foil between TV and Monitor helped.  It worked fine for one week.  It started again yesterday when my Notebook ramped up its fan as it started extensive disk writes.  Flickered once and then stayed bad.

Since I had connected the Monitor to my iPad and it still looked bad before, I can't say it's my Notebook at fault.  More than likely its something in the Monitor circuitry that is sensitive to voltage fluctuations and just can't handle it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.