Question

Honor Student
sharil59
Message 1 of 10 (308 Views)

intermittent buzz in sound

HP Omni 220 PC using windows 7 - we have been experiencing an intermittent buzz during music played from this computer for at least a year.  Tried taking it into Office Max, where it was purchased and, of course, it didn't do it.  This happens regardless of whether music is played through the internal speakers, external speakers or headphones.  Have updated drivers and had no buzz for the first few hours but is doing it again.  Can anyone give me a clue as to why this is happening and how to fix it?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 10 (300 Views)

Re: intermittent buzz in sound

Hi,

If the issue didn't occur at Office Max, then try some different electrical outlets, in different rooms in the house.  It's possible that a noisy device on the same electrical circuit is causing the issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
sharil59
Message 3 of 10 (287 Views)

I tried plugging it in elsewhere - several feet away directly to wall socket - but it's still doing it.  Could it be a bad sound card?

Honor Student
johnny63
Message 4 of 10 (270 Views)

I am having the same problems now ever since November 1st 2012 - I feel that it might have something to do with the auto updates.  The buzz only happens while watching video with sound or listening to sound of any kind.  I also notice that the buzz conspires with my attached aux hard drive for backup (My Book by WD) - it blinks 3 times when the buzz happens - plus the My Book by WD aux backup hard drive blinks the 3 times about every 10 seconds now also.  Does anybody have any ideas????   Does HP monitor this forum???

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 5 of 10 (260 Views)

Trying to find intermittent buzzing is always a problem.  First step is to remove any external devices that are plugged in.  Second move the computer to a different location as already posted.  Pick a spot on a different elevation or total away from the previous location.  Do not move any attached devices with the computer  except the monitor and keyboard.  Use headphones for sound monitoring while trying these steps.  With the computer in its new location and the sound system that was in use at the original location still at the original location, is there any buzzing from the sound system without any input?

Post back with answers to those steps.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
johnny63
Message 6 of 10 (255 Views)

Thanks for your suggestions, but I have tried the steps you suggested - even though my computer is still in the same spot with the same things plugged into it, as it has had for two years now.  This is something new that has just started in the last couple of months.  It seems that it just started after updates were automaticly installed.  I have tried to RESTORE to a earlier date but now my computer will not let me do that.  The buzzing sound is as if it was going to crash, but then it catches its self...  I'm just lost - I really think that this HP system is a LEMON....  When I bought this system two years ago - it kept crashing over and over within the first 2 hours - BRAND NEW!!  HP support told me to take it back to SAMS and get another one.  I did - so now it only crashes a couple of times a month now.  I can live with that.  Looks like I'm going to have to live with the buzzing also.

Honor Student
johnny63
Message 7 of 10 (234 Views)

You know, HP has not contacted me at all about this problem... I have a case number for my complaint that I turned in over a week ago, and I still have not heard from them...  Outside of the BBB - who else should I contact for this???

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 8 of 10 (222 Views)

Hi,

You need to answer the questions about "Why does my PC work OK at Office Max and not at home"? "What am I doing differently"?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
LAPianist
Message 9 of 10 (164 Views)

In my experience, the answer to that question would either be:

1) it is too noisy at Office Max to hear the buzz, or

2) the power supply was unplugged at Office Max.

I have had intermittent buzzing for 2 years in every possible location, with and without external sound cards plugged in, with my DV-7 notebook. The only work-around I have found is to unplug the power adapter.

I am a professional musician and have looked at numerous online forums and talked with top sound engineers about this problem, keeping in mind that the DV-7 is highly recommended by digital audio software companies. Solutions offered to the buzzing have included a Kensington "ungrounded power supply" which would actually increase RF and the chance of electrocution (and is actually unavailable for most HP notebooks), a "ground lift" which doesn't solve it (and also risks electrocution), and numerous DI boxes to isolate the audio output, one of which I bought (http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/jdiduplex.php), which doesn't solve it either. I saw a comment on this forum advising the re-soldering of the mother board, which seems like nonsense, considering that the problem goes away when the power supply is unplugged. My power supply works perfectly fine, according to all online documentation and built-in testing. Another solution offered: get a Mac. Unfortunately I have also done that, but I don't like the software compatibility issues.

Since I am out of warranty, I considered buying another HP notebook, but I will not do that until HP acknowledges that this is a "known issue" which they have solved for future notebook models.

So is there anyone who has personal knowledge of an official HP solution? 

Top Student
LAPianist
Message 10 of 10 (148 Views)

OK, here's my solution:

I just bought a new 90V AC adapter from the HP online store. It works fine, and there is no more buzzing.

My new adapter is 65 W, but my old one was 90 W. I wish I could say if that made a difference in terms of buzzing, but tech support tells me the new adapter is just fine, although it might charge slower.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation