Question

Student
mccalluw
Message 1 of 2 (751 Views)

internal microphone & camera stopped working (ENVY m6 Product number: C2L93UA#ABL)

I have an ENVY m6 Product number: C2L93UA#ABL and I recently discovered the internal microphone doesn't work, and the web cam works when it feels like it. 

I don't know if the mic ever worked (I didn't try to use it until recently on skype).  It feels like I have tried every possible combination of items on/off/disabled/uninstalled/installed for the sound card & mic. 

The camera is another story altogether as it works sometimes or sometimes comes up with another camera name (I did have an external web came plugged in at one point but it's gone now) but no picture.  I'm hoping I'm just being thick and I'm missing something that someone here can explain. 

As it would still be under warranty my final step would be repair, and if I can't figure it out soon that will be next.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 2 of 2 (737 Views)

Re: internal microphone & camera stopped working (ENVY m6 Product number: C2L93UA#ABL)

Hey mccalluw, 

I'm sorry that you're running into this issue with your webcam and mic. The webcam and mic are together on one module, as you may know. The cable connecting that module to the motherboard goes behind the display and through the hinges. That cable may be being pinched by the hinges. I've seen where some customers who were already out of warranty were able to go inside and fix the issue themselves but with you being in warranty, I would recommend sending it in for repair (if you can spare it for 1.5 - 2 weeks). 

Call 1-800-474-6836 to speak with phone Tech Support. They may ask you to back up your files and reinstall Windows. This is not a bad last resort because it's possible there could be a registry issue that could only be corrected by reinstalling Windows. 

The following suggestions could void your warranty and it is totally up to you if you want to try them or not.

Here's a link to a previous post on a similar issue (take a look at the links at the bottom Post 1 and Post 2).

Here's a link about the hinge pulling the cable issue and fix - not saying that this is what's happening but it's a realistic possibility.

Hope this helps! Let me know the results when you get a chance please :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation