Question

Teacher
boongsong
Message 1 of 5 (8,242 Views)

no audio in Windows Media Player

Don't know if this is the place for an answer.

Recently I don't have any audio in Windows Media Player. There are other issues and I've been working with Microsoft but so fare no solutions.

I went through the Troubleshooter process and selected this as a last resort.

Every video that I have, and which I select Windows Media Player to play the videos, I get the video but no audio.

I know it isn't anything wrong with my computer because the videos play perfectly if I choose Media Player Classic, Roxio Creator, or Cyberlink Power Director 10 Ultra.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look as to why no sound in Windows MP? Uninstallling and redownloading/installing is not an option as WMP is an integral part of Windows 7.

If I can't find an answer I'll just uninstall it and start using other players. (A real pain-in-the you know what)

boong
Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 5 (8,239 Views)

Re: no audio in Windows Media Player

Hi,

Although you can't entirely uninstall the application, it may be worth trying to reset Windows Media Player as follows.

Click the Start Menu and select Control Panel.  Open Programs and Features, Click 'Turn Windows features on or off', open up Media Features and untick Windows Media Player.  Click Yes then OK and then restart the PC.

When Windows has restarted, click the Start Menu and select Control Panel.  Open Programs and Features, Click 'Turn Windows features on or off', open up Media Features and tick Windows Media Player.  Click Yes then OK and when WMP has finished installing, restart the PC again.

When windows has fully reloaded, launch WMP and run through the initial set-up and see if now have any audio.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Teacher
boongsong
Message 3 of 5 (8,214 Views)

Thank you DavidPK. I apologize for the delay in responding but your reply went into spam folder.

I tried your suggestion but no luck. Still same problem.

I'm just going to forget Windows Media Player. No help from Microsoft.

i have more than one option, so it's no big deal.

Again, thanks for your help.

boong
Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 5 (8,203 Views)

Hi,

It's not the first time I've ended up in the Spam folder :smileyhappy:

If you do want to try another approach, it's possible that the WMP Library Database has become corrupt, so you could try the following to force Windows Media Player to re-build the Library Database.

A useful utility for viewing all the files on your PC is called Free Commander, on the link below, as it displays folders that the Operating System normally hides and has a good search function.

http://www.snapfiles.com/php/download.php?id=107872&a=7122339&tag=601108&loc=10

This is a zipped file, so if you don't have an extraction utility installed, download and install 7-Zip.  Please note, if you have a 64bit installation of Windows, download and install the .msi 64-bit x64 installer on the link below.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Next, right click the Free Commander zipped file you download earlier, select 7-Zip, select extract files and then click Ok.  Open the newly extracted folder and double click the installer to start the installation.

Make sure Windows Media Player and Windows Media Centre are closed.

Launch Free Commander, double click Users, double click 'your user name', double click Local Settings, double click Application Data, double click Microsoft and double click Media Player.  Delete all the files that have the extension .wmdb - do not delete any folders.

Close Free Commander and open Windows Media Player - it will now begin to re-build the library database which may take a while, but when it has finished, see if this has corrected the issue.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Grim32
Message 5 of 5 (4,678 Views)

Hi David sorry to bother you but I'm desperate right now, maybe you could help me with my problem. Im using windows 7 ultimate with realtek hd audio driver. The volume icon is ok system says audio driver is working properly and the audio service is running. Im sure my speakers are working and on-board audio is enabled in bios. So why can't i get any audio output. I even pulled out my ram card to see if i get a beep and i did. Help me plz

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation