Question

Top Student
AspenGal
Message 1 of 12 (3,572 Views)
Accepted Solution

old PC, new monitor display problems

[ Edited ]

Just bought a new monitor for my old Presario SR1500NX, but I can't adjust the Screen Resolution to 1600x900 which my monitor wants - it has a maximum setting of 1024x768. (Monitor = HP2009m, widescreen) The video card in my PC is "VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP"; when I go to the S3 Display tab it shows "Display Devices" as an old CRT monitor, which I don't have. I was using an older 17" LCD 4:3 monitor the last 3 years, & it worked off this video card, but my new widescreen monitor's display is veeerrryyyy 'stretched'. I think I need a new 'video card', correct? If so, can you recommend one so I can buy & install it (I printed off the directions for installing a new video card from the HP website for my PC). I'm kind of smart with software, but not the hardware-side of computers. I have installed more RAM in my PC, so I'm not unfamiliar with the insides. (And no, I canNOT afford a new computer at this time - I know mine is old, but it's still working perfectly for my needs, just wanted a new, larger monitor!) Thanks for any help you can give me.

Master's Graduate
konk6i3
Message 2 of 12 (3,561 Views)

Re: old PC, new monitor display problems

If the Display Devices is still showing the monitor as a CRT, then it has not done the proper configurations for the new monitor. Put in the CD that came with the monitor, go to Install Monitor Driver Software and follow instructions. Once this finishes, see what happens.

Cheers,

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Top Student
AspenGal
Message 3 of 12 (3,578 Views)

I repeated installing the driver, then re-started my PC.  I still can't choose a resolution higher than 1024x768 in the "Settings" tab in Properties!  In fact, I only have 2 choices for Screen Resolution: 800x600, & 1024x768.  When I click on the "Advanced" box, & click on the "Monitor" tab, it shows the proper monitor type (HP 2009 Series Wide LCD Monitor).  When I click on the "Adapter" tab, & click on the box "List All Modes...", it doesn't show any mode higher than "1024x768, True Color (32 bit), 75 Hertz".  Does that confirm my suspicion that this video card is incapable of displaying the 1600x900 resolution that my monitor suggests?  If so...I need some suggestion on what video card to buy which 1) will work in my computer and 2) will support the higher resolutions required for my new wide-screen monitor.  HELP!  I'm a good Internet shopper, & don't have a problem installing it myself, just don't have a clue what to look for in a video card - I need specifics, please (manufacturer, model or item #, a good site or two to purchase from). 

Provost
old_geekster
Message 4 of 12 (3,571 Views)

[ Edited ]

AG, I can't say for certain, but I believe that you may be correct in assuming that your video adapter can not meet the native resolution.  A new video card would give you a nice performance boost, also.

You have your choice of an Accelerated Graphics Port 8x/4x (AGP) or PCI video card.  The AGP card is much faster.  Since you don't appear to be intimidated by opening the case, please check the tag on the power supply unit (PSU) and let us know the wattage.  I believe that it may be 250W or 300W.  The PSU wattage is important when buying a video card.  Once we have the wattage, we can make some recommendations.

I like Newegg and ZipZoomFly for buying computer products online.  They are both very reliable.  I have a trick when dealing on Newegg.  I add the item/s that I want to buy to my "Wishlist".  In a very short time, the item has been priced more aggresively to entice me to buy it.  I have done this numerous times and it works very nicely.  I actually learned this quite by accident, but read later that others do this, also.  Always look for FREE shipping.  This is one of the ways they entice you.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 5 of 12 (3,560 Views)

Power Unit wattage = 250W max. I have used Newegg before & liked their service - thanks for the 'hint'. I'll remember that from now on.  :womanwink:

Top Student
AspenGal
Message 6 of 12 (3,543 Views)

P.S.  I'm not a gamer, I use my computer for digital photography & internet shopping.  Thanks in advance for any video card suggestions - I'm at a total loss to find an appropriate one myself.

Top Student
AspenGal
Message 7 of 12 (3,521 Views)

help?  I'm using my old monitor for now...the stretched out images on the new widescreen were hurting my eyes.

Provost
old_geekster
Message 8 of 12 (3,477 Views)

[ Edited ]

AG, here is a video card that should work with your PSU and new monitor.  It is not a barn burner, but has far more than the maximum resolution required to run it.  It says that the minimum wattage is 300W.  However, manufacturers have a tendency to overrate the power requirements of their cards.  Read the Customer Reviews and the Specifications on the Product Page.  This will give you some good information.

The card should improve the performance of your computer, also.  It will free-up the system memory shared with the video chip and add the video memory on the card itself.  You could upgrade the memory to 2GB to increase performance even more.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 9 of 12 (3,471 Views)

:womanvery-happy:  ..thanx so much for the advice.  I'll order this tonight, & will let you know how it all works out. 

Top Student
AspenGal
Message 10 of 12 (3,469 Views)

P.S. I upgraded the memory to 2GB a year ago - not hard at all!  :smileywink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation