Question

Top Student
RayT
Message 1 of 9 (11,261 Views)
Accepted Solution

"Input Not Supported"

Hello All…

I recently received a 19” Acer LCD monitor #AL-1916W, as a gift to replace the burned out monitor which came with my HP Pavilion. I had no problems with this monitor for about a month until this weekend. After booting up the computer, the screen went black and displayed a floating dialog box, which said: “Input Not Supported”. I was forced to go to safe mode and reset the resolution to VAGA to get back into Windows. After reducing the resolution in “display property settings” to a setting of 1600 X 900, this seemed to resolve the problem somewhat. However, the Acer documentation reports that the optimum resolution for that monitor is 1440 X 900 The setting slider dose not offer that resolution and the 1600 X 900 resolution I’m now using shows vertical-intermittent-graying in the font structure throughout the system. If I drop to the next setting, which is lower then 1600 X 900, I get stretched graphics with increased font graying. If I go above, I get a black screen. I believe the resolution I’m forced to use now is an incorrect ratio for this monitor as in addition to the font issue the desktop is a little vertically pinched looking.

I'm wondering what caused this change in the first place.  I did delete some temp files using "CCcleaner" but nothing in the registry.

Can anyone tell me how I can obtain the required resolution of 1440 X 900?  Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Operating system:

HP Pavilion a1012n

Windows XP, Home Addition version 2002

Service Pack 3.

CPU: Pentium 4 at 3.06 GHZ with 200 GB of RAM.

Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy explanation….

RayT

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 9 (11,274 Views)

Re: "Input Not Supported"

The model name you gave for your pc comes up with this :smileysurprised:. Another model name or number, please.  There should be a model name and model number on your  HP PC.

I suspect you are using the onboard video and since I cannot find your pc model I cannot give you a precise answer.

I can say that virtually all of the mainstrean video cards (NVIDIA and ATI) do support the native resolution (1440 x 900) of your Acer monitor.

So.. with your missing pc information I can give that for an answer, although with a model number and a known video interface slot in your pc, even links to good deals are possible.  :smileyhappy:

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
RayT
Message 3 of 9 (11,227 Views)

Thank you for your response.  I apologize for that incorrect model number.  The correct model is "Pavilion a1020n".
Provost
erico
Message 4 of 9 (11,248 Views)

The solution is to add a  video card.  The bad news is that your PC accepts neither PCI-e nor AGP. A  PCI video card is all you will be able to upgrade to. Here is a link to a pretty large selection. Don't expect the blazing performance of a gaming PC. It is not going to happen 

Your ASUS PTGD-LA motherboard has video integrated with up to 64 MB allocated video. That is not enough memory and you probably can't increase the shared memory very much either. 

Here is a link to the product support page for your PC.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Top Student
RayT
Message 5 of 9 (11,205 Views)

I looked at the product specification link and remembered that in Properties, the adapter shows the Express Chipset Memory size as being 128 MB.  Is the Integrated Video Graphics Component the same device as the Express Chipset ? 

Thanks very much for the information.  I'l give it a try....

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 9 (11,192 Views)

The integrated graphics component is part of the Intel 915GV chipset Northbridge.

In device manager --> Properties. look only at the Display Adapter's properties to see what the component has listed. The display adapter memory limitations are by design in the BIOS programming.

What the adapter is showing is all that is available for video display. Stunning visuals are claimed by Intel but that was back in the day when Pentium4 was king.

HP used the lower end capabilities of the chipset. It was actually designed to be able to use the modern PCI-express interface (better Video cards).

It appears that the HP engineers used only the PCI interface for cost savings in manufacture (less circuit traces required on the motherboard and cheaper connectors and space considerations for conponents).

That seriously limited the upgrade potential of the motherboard. When you install the video card it will be necessary to disable the onboard video from within BIOS. Well... you'll see what I mean.

Top Student
RayT
Message 7 of 9 (11,145 Views)

I would love to put a 512 MB card in but I've been doing some reading and apparently the PSU is critical. I opened the case and found that this system only produces 250 Watts and the total output cannot exceed 218 Watts.  Most video cards listed don’t show the wattage (system) requirements.  I'm a little apprehensive about this.  Been trying to find a video card that will work with that wattage restriction which will generate at least 128 MB of memory.  Any recommendations?

Student
Deanna
Message 8 of 9 (9,913 Views)

I have the same computer, HP Pavilion a1020n, and am having a lot of fatal errors that throw me into safe mode. I'd like to replace the video card, and havent' got the faintest idea, from those on the above link, which will work or not. Which did you go with, or what am I looking for, to determine compatibility with my system? Thanks for any help you can give.
Provost
erico
Message 9 of 9 (9,905 Views)

Ok. Here is a link to a NewEgg.com web page. The video cards that will work are the PCI cards . Better brands are EVGA, and PNY of the cards they sell. You can also go to a local computer/electronics shop and buy a PCI video card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation