Question

Honor Student
justaiks
Message 1 of 2 (799 Views)

"Squealing" coming from ATI Radeon 4850

Hey everyone. I have a brand new HP Pavilion Elite m9600t series Desktop.

It contains an Intel Core i7 950 Processor with 8GB DDR3, 1GB RAID 0, and a 1GB ATI Radeon 4850.

It arrived yesterday from getting built and I've come to notice and very small, high-pitched, squealing sound coming from the video card.

I was able to pin-point its location yesterday by taking off one side of the case and listening very carefully.  

I've tried to do some research on my own in to this matter. It sounds like the problem has occured with other types of cards before, but no one has mentioned a fix to this issue or a reason why it happens in the first place.

The computer us hooked up to a 32" LCD TV via HDMI.

I should mention too, the small, high-pitched, squeal is intermittent and only seems to occur when a load is on the PC.

This could be completely normal for this type of card, or it may not be. I'm not entirely sure, so I figured I would log in and ask around.

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

Justin

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 2 of 2 (777 Views)

Re: "Squealing" coming from ATI Radeon 4850

It could be that fan. Try downlaoding the latest catalyst driver and software from ati.com for it and it should come with a fan speed adjuster which in way you can increase the speed or decrease it to see if that fixes the issue.

You can also get the EVGA Precision Utility from evga.com but must register first (it's free) and once installed uncheck AUTO on the fan setting and set it to like 45%. The faster the fan speed the noisier it may be so try not to set it above 75%.

You have a really good video card.

Also see if the video card fan moved freely and that it's not touching any wires inside.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation