Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I am trying to get support for my monitor that has started smoking.  Where can a contact someone about that?  It seems that monitors, which have a 3 year warranty, are not as well covered as PC's and other products by HP that have a shorter warranty.  I can't even get the serial number or part number recognized.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is a business class monitor and warranty services may not be found in the consumer class channels. Please start by inputing your serial and product numbers into this HP Business warranty lookup page. You can also use the HP Support Center to initiate warranty service, chat with HP, email HP.

Please send KUDOs

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

This is a business class monitor and warranty services may not be found in the consumer class channels. Please start by inputing your serial and product numbers into this HP Business warranty lookup page. You can also use the HP Support Center to initiate warranty service, chat with HP, email HP.

Please send KUDOs

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

We've now had four LE2201w monitors fail in the same way; ie they start smoking. We've had all four replaced under warranty, but i'm concerned that one will catch fire overnight or in an unattended area. (we have another 80 or so deployed around our company.)

This appears to be a design problem, in my opinion these monitors are a fire risk. 

Any advice from HP about this> Can we get them RMA'd, or do I have to go to Consumer affairs about this?

HP Recommended

I've seen several of the HP LE2201w's give off smoke and start burning. Luckily each time it happened someone from our IT department was in the building. I'm not sure what triggers it, but all the monitors we have in house are plugged into surge supressors. I believe HP should consider a major recall at this point because these particular monitors are serious fire hazards.

Ant_Man
HP Recommended

Hi All,

Here is another LE2201w that cought fire...... luckely I was sitting by the PC and checking mail when smoke from upper right side started to rise...

And ofcourse, the monitor is just over 3 yers old...

BR

Mike from Sweden

HP Recommended

We have had 4 of these monitors go up in smoke in the past 3 months. Monitors are now just out of warranty, HP will replace them however i believe they are a great fire risk, and they will be removed from the office

HP Recommended

NatJev,

I have sent you a Private Message regarding this matter.

eric-g

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

I replaced a smoking monitor, having seen smoke appearing from the top last year.  One of my other ones has just caught fire in the office again.  Seriously, these are a danger and there should have been something done about it.  Does anyone have any pointers?

HP Recommended

We have encoutered the same issue with two LE2201w in the past two weeks. Both times luckily during office hours.
Both times starting with "vibrating image" and degrading quality, then smoke and fire.

We do not know the cause but replacing all LE2201w a.s.a.p, strange that HP havent  revoked this monitor model?

HP Recommended

Talk to your supplier.

HP have repaired all the monitors we had affected with the fault.

It appears certain batches of the LE2201w have faulty / substandard capacitors that fail, causing the smoke to come out of the back of the monitor. Note that it's only smoke; HP tell me there's no fire risk (the smoke appears as the capacitor fails - because it's failed there's no more power through the circuit and no fire risk.)

Note that it's only certain batches that are affected.  We have lots of LE2201's that apparently don't have the problem. We haven't had any more fail after the affected ones were repaired.

I hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.