Question

Top Student
jweiss21
Message 1 of 13 (959 Views)
Accepted Solution

speakers stopped working in HP Pavillion desktop PC

My speakers stopped working in my HP Pavillion desktop PC. The computer says they are working, but there is no sound and the speakers are not on mute. Can anyone help me?

Intern
qpwo1029
Message 2 of 13 (955 Views)

Re: speakers stopped working in HP Pavillion desktop PC

Hi,

Suggest go to Control Panel->Harware and Sound->Sound

See if your defult output device in play tab and recording tab is the correct device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I work for HP.
Please click the white "Kudos" star to say thanks.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if you think my response helpful.
Top Student
jweiss21
Message 3 of 13 (953 Views)

Your solution is not clear. My control panel says I have realtek high definition audio and that the device is working properly, but I don't have any sound.

Intern
qpwo1029
Message 4 of 13 (946 Views)

Hi,

Could you try to click the speaker button on the right hand corner, and click the mixer button, and then click the triangle to choose the output source at the device tab to see if it works?

I work for HP.
Please click the white "Kudos" star to say thanks.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if you think my response helpful.
Intern
vinman_hotpot
Message 5 of 13 (938 Views)

Are you referring to external speakers that plug into the PC? Have you checked that the speaker cables are in good condition (i.e. no cracks or breaks) and are plugged in the proper plug? Try unplugging and plugging them back in.

Are they active speakers (i.e. requires power to work)? If so, check that the power source is working and there should be a green LED light lit to show that there is power to the speakers.

If convenient you could try unplugging the speakers and plugging them into another device to see if there is sound (to confirm the speakers are working). A MP3 or similar device should do the trick.

If convenient try another set of speakers and/or headphones to confirm there is sound coming out of the PC.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am an HP employee but not speaking on behalf of HP

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Top Student
jweiss21
Message 6 of 13 (930 Views)

I believe they are internal speakers.

Top Student
jweiss21
Message 7 of 13 (928 Views)

Clicked speaker button, then mixer button. Indicates sound is from Realtek Digital Output. I think these are internal speakers. Still not working. Not on mute.

Intern
C4rbonC0pyTodd
Message 8 of 13 (920 Views)

If I'm understanding you properly, you don't have any audio devices (speakers, headphones, etc.) plugged into your unit. Your unit was producing sound, but has stopped. The device manager says that the integrated audio processor is working fine, but no sound is emerging from the speakers.

You seem to have indicated that the sound for the unit (found under the speaker symbol on your toolbar is not muted, and that you have checked to make sure that the program you are using to generate sound/music is also at a sufficient volume.

If both of these have occured, I would try plugging headphones or speakers into your unit to see if that generates sound. This will verify for us whether the issue is with the sound chip, or with the internal speaker that is mounted on the motherboard.

Todd

I work for HP

Top Student
jweiss21
Message 9 of 13 (917 Views)

Thanks. No audio devices plugged into unit. Yes, unit was producing sound but has stopped. Icon indicates sound by movement up and down volumn column, but no sound. Nothing is muted. Tried plugging in headphones but no sound there either. Any suggestions about how I might fix this?

Thanks!

Intern
C4rbonC0pyTodd
Message 10 of 13 (915 Views)

Based on what you're describing, you could try going into the device manager and uninstalling the audio drivers and then rebooting, but if that doesn't work, chances are there's a possible hardware issue at work. Which, given that it's involving a chip soldered to your motherboard, would probably involve having the unit brought into a repair center.

Todd

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation