Question

Student
WB3X
Message 1 of 4 (1,288 Views)

windows media player 12 library is corrupted

I have a new HP p7-1236s with Windows 7 64bit OS. As I was setting up I needed to install the software for a Fuji Finepix A330 digital camera from a prior system. I installed from the CD which was not compatible with Win 7 and then used Fuji's Updater to bring it up to ver. 5.5 which worked fine.

After doing this I found I could not add video to my Windows Media Player 12 Library by playing an item. After much trouble shooting and a LOT of wasted time I determined that the WIndows Media Platyer Library is corrupted. (Used Microsoft's Auto Fixes which can reset Media Player so that set-up can be re-run but the library remains corrupted. Win Media Player 12 does not seem to be available independently. Only embedded in Windows 7.)

Nothing I do will correct it. All 'solutions' are circular. (Microsoft says contact HP. HP  Support Assistant  provides only useless FAQs. No information on how to actually contact HP (which Microsoft requries for OEM software.)

This appears to be a common problem. Can anyone offer any insight?  THanks.

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 2 of 4 (1,283 Views)

Re: windows media player 12 library is corrupted

I am not sure if this will work for the library but it may be worth a try:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 3 of 4 (1,271 Views)

Hi,

You can force a re-build of WMPs library database as follows.

From the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and open Folder Options.  Click the View tab, fill in the radio button titled 'Show hidden files folders and Drives' and take the tick out of the box next to 'Hide extensions of known file types'.  Click apply to make these changes.

Make sure Windows Media Player and Windows Media Centre are closed.

Click the Start Menu, open Local Disk C, open Users, double click 'your user name', open Local Settings, open Application Data, open Microsoft and open Media Player.  Delete all the files that have the extension .wmdb - do not delete any folders.

Close this window and then go back to Folder Options and re-hide Hidden files folders and Drives and extensions of known file types.

Open Windows Media Player - it will now begin to re-build the library database which may take a while depending on the size of the library, but when it has finished, see if this has corrected the issue.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
MarkmBha
Message 4 of 4 (602 Views)

Still corrupted...!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation