Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 27-a230
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased a Logitech Z323 speaker system for my Hp Pavilion 27-a230 all-in-one. I connected it to the headphone/mike jack on the bottom but all sound is still coming from the internal speakers. I tried using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI), but it wouldn't recognize anything I plugged into the jack, not even standard headphones, so I had to exit the test.  Apparently Windows itself is not the problem. What else can I do to get the headphone/mic jack working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

For the time being, I have disabled the internal speakers and using a cheap external USB sound device.......seems to be working well! I'm not done yet; I'll be trying to find a solution other than using this USB device.......I'll post my solution when I find it!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The SUPPORT PAGE indicates as you posted.  The Headphone/Microphone is a combo jack.

If you right click on the Speaker Icon - next to the clock in the lower right -  pick playback devices with the speakers plugin.  Does it show any choices concerning the external speakers?

If not in there, then go to the "Settings" page and type Realtek Audio Manager in the search box under the "Windows Settings" heading

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

No, all that is there is Speakers/Headphones, and they are my default device. But the headphone/mic jack is not working. I'll try the Settings page and let you know what happens........thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

It says "No results for realtek audio manager". Should I maybe try to uninstall the B&O Audio Control and see if that is the problem? I don't use it.

HP Recommended

The support page, linked above, indicates "Audio jack presence detection" - which leads me to believe there is a software intended to detect when something is plugged into that jack.  If there is no "Realtek Audio Manager" then the next choice would be the B&O audio control, as you already noted.  Every place I see that mentioned, it also says the internal speakers are disconnected when there is something inserted in the jack.  There has to be a software switch setup in the audio control.

Maybe someone with one of those can chime in with the place to set that.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

OK, I will try that and reinstall the Realtek drivers and software........I do hope I have no trouble uninstalling the B&O audio control, I see here on the forum others have..........I'll see what I can do and let you know, good or bad, what happens. Thanks so much for your help!

HP Recommended

Rather, I'll wait for when (or if) someone replies with the same problem as I have......in the meantime, if I find a solution myself,  I'll post it here. I remember now that I tried the B&O audio control and it was no help. I wonder if there is a generic driver that will allow me to select the headphone jack as default separate from the speakers that will work......

HP Recommended

OK........I found out how to change the driver to the one I was looking for as per the 1st reply on this  post:     http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/How-to-Disable-Bang-amp-Olufsen-Use-Alternative-Audio/td...

It has the headphones listed separate from the speakers but I can't select it as default. It will not detect anything plugged in it.........at least I think we're heading in the right direction. I think this driver will work if I can get the PC to detect when somethings plugged in the headphone jack. Onward we go......anyone feel free to chime in with suggestions!

HP Recommended

For the time being, I have disabled the internal speakers and using a cheap external USB sound device.......seems to be working well! I'm not done yet; I'll be trying to find a solution other than using this USB device.......I'll post my solution when I find it!

HP Recommended

That is one way to solve the problem.  I was interested if an additional device to take the place of the non-working one would then work.  Many times Windows gets stuck in a rut and will not allow a substitute to solve the problem.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.