Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Whenever I plug in any headphones into the headphone jack on the top of my HP Envy desktop the computer will not recognize that anythings been plugged in. I've looked around in sound setting and set everything to default but nothing shows that headphones are plugged in. Yes they are plugged in all the way and the headphones work with other devices.

Computer model:  http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-ENVY/E9G99AV?HP-ENVY-700-210xt-D...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Vesrox,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I understand that the headphone jack on the top of your computer is not recognizing anything that is being plugged in, and I would be happy to assist you! To begin, I will need to ask you a few questions:

• What is the Product and Model Number of your desktop computer?
  • What version of Windows do you have installed on your computer?
  • Are you able to produce sound from the headphone jack in the back of the computer?
  • Has your computer completed all of its important Windows Updates?
  • Have you updated your HP drivers using the HP Support Assistant?
  • Is this a recent, or an on-going issue?
  • Are you able to recognize USB devices on the top of your computer, where the top headphone jack is located?

In the meantime, I recommend following this document on No Sound from the Speakers (Windows 😎. This should help produce sound from the headphonejack on the top of your desktop.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, as well as the requested information above. I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy 

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello Vesrox,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I understand that the headphone jack on the top of your computer is not recognizing anything that is being plugged in, and I would be happy to assist you! To begin, I will need to ask you a few questions:

• Are you able to produce sound from the headphone jack in the back of the computer?
  • Are you able to recognize USB devices on the top of your computer, where the top headphone jack is located?

In the meantime, I recommend following this document on No Sound from the Speakers (Windows 😎. This should help produce sound from the headphonejack on the top of your desktop.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, as well as the requested information above. I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy 

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
  • Product #: H5P82AA#ABA              Model #: 700-047c
  • The version of Windows I have is Windows 8.1
  • yes the headphone jack in the back of the PC works
  • It is up to date
  • yes
  • On-going issue
  • The USB ports on the top work
HP Recommended

The document you posted helped me fix the problem

HP Recommended

I thought that I would share my similar experience with my HP Envy 23 All-in-one. I too had experienced my headphones not being registered and not being able to get sound from my headphones, although the speakers worked. I tried to change drivers, updates, etc. The solution for me was very simple. If you have Beats Audio, you will need to follow the following steps. 

1. Click the Start button. 

2. Type Beats Audio  and select the Beats Audio Control Panel

3. Select Advanced Settings from the top menu. 

4. Under Jack Information uncheck the box that says Enable auto pop up dialog, when device has been plugged in. 

For some reason when I would plug in my headphones the pop up dialog would malfunction and cause the headphone jack to not read my headphones. After disabling this option, my headphone jack detects my headphones with ease and I have no issues switching between headphones and speakers. 

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

YOU are the bomb!!   I have been searching for solutions for hours and nothing has worked.   I've only had my HP Envy 23 All-in-One for 3 weeks and couldn't get help through phone support because when I filled out the online form it stated my product was no longer serviced by  HP!   That sucks since they advertise a 90-day warranty...thanks HP!   Your simple solution fixed my problem.  Thank you so much for posting it!!

HP Recommended

I made an account just to post this. I love you. Thank you so much. I've been trying to resolve this issue for WEEKS and you solved it in under a minute. If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to find you and give you all of it. 

HP Recommended

hi, 

after resetting my windows 10 hp envy touchsmart 15  headphone jack is not working any help  to solve this issue,

after resetting i lost beats controller pannel too

thanks

HP Recommended

Thank you sooooooooo much!  My headphone jack hasn't worked since the day I got my HP Envy 23 (over a year ago) and I gave up.  But today I REALLY needed to use the headphone jack and I found your solution and it worked like a champ!  Unchecking the "Jack Information" box solved my issue!  FINALLY!  Thank you very much for sharing your solution!

HP Recommended

Model #: 23se-d394

Product #: H6U13AA#ABA

Serial #: 3CR33807JZ

Software Build #: 13AM2AR8609#SABA#DABA

Service ID #: 20131215

PCBRAND #: HP

OS #: ML

1. Look under PC for Edition to find out which version and edition of Windows that your PC is running.

Windows 10 Home

1. Look under PC for Version to find out which version of Windows 10 your PC is running.

1. Look under PC for System type to see if you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows. 

64-Operating System; x64-based processor

Side and back jacks work.

I use side jack and the only issue I have is that it DOES NOT shut off speakers when I insert the headphones.

All updates and drivers are current.

On going issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.