Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have a new HP Pavilion which rejects DVD's and CD's. I insert the disc, just occasionally everything works as expected - but usually the player spins up, then stops, the draw re opens, and for a moment the audio plays a couple of random samples lasting less than one second. Updates are automatic so should be the latest version. Whats wrong??

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @Stramit, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that optical drive on your PC ejects the CD/DVD automatically.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Have you tried using different discs on your PC? Does the DVD still eject?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Try setting BIOS default and check if it helps.

To boot into BIOS, turn on your PC keep tapping the F10 key.

Under file tab select restore defaults. Select Yes to confirm.

Press F10 again to save changes and exit.

Also, try updating the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Let me know if this works!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Robot, I have reset BIOS to restore default - and have updated - but the problem still occurs. It is unpredictable, sometimes everything works fine, and sometimes disks are rejected. 

I have a aging ACER computer and the disks play well on that without any problem but the very same disks in the HP sometimes play and sometimes are rejected. It seems to happen after the computer has gone into rest mode and has re woken. The only answer then is to do a reboot.

For reference the product code is P1J97EA#ABU

HP Recommended

@Stramit, Thanks your response and time.

Appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the discs works on a different PC. 

Try updating BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Please find the link to update BIOS.

Also, try the steps recommended below if the issue still persists after updating the BIOS.

Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
Type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or select Allow
In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then select Uninstall.
When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, select OK.
Restart the computer.
After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed.

Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or select Allow
In the navigation pane, locate and then select the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, select UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
On the Edit menu, select Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, select Yes.
In the right pane, select LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, go to the next method.
On the Edit menu, select Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, select Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps It is a hardware issue, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.