Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion 500-056. I upgraded to Windows 10 about 8 months ago, and there was an issue with the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC driver. I didn't do anything with it since I was using HDMI and getting sound through my monitor. Now, I purchased a Logitech Z506 5.1 speaker system, and cannot get the driver to correct itself. I've tried updating to through Control Panel, uninstalling and reinstalling, and even had Microsoft tech support take a look at it.

I get sound through the headphone jack on the front, but nothing through the jacks on the back. My PC is equipt with Beats, and I want to take advantage of the surround sound. I'm running the speakers off the headphone jack for now, but only get front right and left (no center, rear right or left, and no center). I know this is the nature of the jack.

I simply need to know where I can download the driver directly and install it that way.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't work for you.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to see if this works...

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device category.

1. Select IDT High Definition Audio CODEC under that category.

2. Select the Driver tab.

3. Click on Update Driver... button.

4. Select  -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select  High Definition Audio Device (Not  IDT High Def...  this is important.) and click Next.

A warning message may appear,  but click Yes.

7. Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

8. Restart the PC.

The key is step 6.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if installing this W10 IDT audio driver and restarting the PC resolves the problem...

This package provides the IDT Tempo High Definition Audio Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp71717.exe

HP Recommended

No luck with that.

When I go into Playback Devices, it shows IDT running as the default, and under properties it says rear Optical jack. I'm using the green/black/yellow 3.5mm jacks.

The headphone jack works for a while, then stops. I have to reboot every 15-20 minutes for that to work.

HP Recommended
Installation went fine, but still no sound from the rear jacks.
HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't work for you.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to see if this works...

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device category.

1. Select IDT High Definition Audio CODEC under that category.

2. Select the Driver tab.

3. Click on Update Driver... button.

4. Select  -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select  High Definition Audio Device (Not  IDT High Def...  this is important.) and click Next.

A warning message may appear,  but click Yes.

7. Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

8. Restart the PC.

The key is step 6.

HP Recommended

That seems to have done the trick.

I followed the steps you posted, rebooted the computer, then went back in and it allowed me to update the IDT driver. This time it did a full install (meaning no ERROR messages), then rebooted again. After that, I went into Playback Devices, the IDT was there, selected it, and everything began working perfectly.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

thank you work so good, had to do the part .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.