Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy desktop
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Plugged an audio mixer into Line In jack on rear of desktop to record LPs.  Control panel settings show Line In to be default recording source.  No sound.  Line In jack has not been used before.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Got it!  Turns out I needed to go 1 level deeper.  From the Control Panel to Sound,  Select Recordings and make sure the Line In is enabled.  That's all the further I thought I needed to check.  But if you go to properites of that, I found that the speaker icon had an x through it.  Removed the X and everything works fine.  Thanks to TheOldMan for helping me understand all of this.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forum.  The line in jack is for line level inputs.  Many turntable outputs will need a preamp for them to work on a line level input.  Does the audio mixer have a headphone jack to give the user an indication if the inputs are working at a sufficient level before it sends the signal out ?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I should have made my question more detailed.  The turntable feeds a pre-amp mixer which in turn (according to mfgs manual) is to be connected to the Line In jack. So I would assume the output levels of the preamp to be sufficient. I do not have any other audio source which I could use to test the jack itself,   As to the supplied cabling, that can be another source of the problem.  As far as this forum is concerned, looking for computer based issues.

HP Recommended

Without a model number and there are so many Envy desktop, it is difficlut to give detailed advice but if there is a line in there is probably also a mic input as well.  You could try that just for testing.  It might need to be turned way down on level to start out.  I assume you know how to use that souce for recording in the way the first post is worded, but if you are in need of help, then please ask.  Also, what software is being used to record?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

If I go to the control panel and look at PC info, it reads hp 700-147c. Don't know it that helps or not.  Looking at Sound (recording) there are two options for mic bu it also reads that they are unavailable.  Is that because there is no plug in the jack ( my cable is still plugged into the Line jack).  I am wanting to record via software I got with the purchase, but I have also tried recording with Sound Recorder that came with the PC and Windows.

HP Recommended

The picture of the audio jacks from the SUPPORT PAGE, are indicated below.

2017-01-12 07_14_20-HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, (JasmineR) _ HP® Custome.jpg

Assuming the line in is connected to the light blue, and it does not show up or work, the the next would be to try the pink jack.  Control of these inputs can be found by putting the mouse over the speaker icon lower right by the clock.  Right click and then pick "Recording Devices" pick the one you wish to use.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

First fix I tried was to change the cable from the preamp to computer,.  Still no sound.  Tried to play a MP3 through the Line In jack.  No sound.  Thinking I might have a bad sound card.

HP Recommended

I do not see any mention about trying the mic jack.  That might tell you if the input is bad or not.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Just got around to that.  Mfg of preamp does not want you to use mic input AT ALL,  Plugged the mp3 a low volume into mic input and hear nothing,  I am assuming that you can hear whatever is plugged into Line or Mic through the system speakers without loading any audio software.

HP Recommended

Got it!  Turns out I needed to go 1 level deeper.  From the Control Panel to Sound,  Select Recordings and make sure the Line In is enabled.  That's all the further I thought I needed to check.  But if you go to properites of that, I found that the speaker icon had an x through it.  Removed the X and everything works fine.  Thanks to TheOldMan for helping me understand all of this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.