Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My MS Access 2007 unpredictably "hangs".  This occurs when I try to open a table or run a query.  It occurs on newly created files and files that worked before but suddenly stop working.  This has been going on since I got my computer from HP in Jan 2009.

The problem report describes the problem as:  A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

The problem event name is:  AppHangB1

I am using Windows Vista 64 bit version:  OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

I've searched Microsoft support and the Internet and haven't found any instances of the same problem.  Microsoft does have a hotfix for a similar problem but it is for instances where you are accessing a remote database.  My databases are on my hard drive - so this hotfix is not for my situation.

This problem makes it almost impossible to use MS Access 2007. 

Microsoft will not help me without a fee because I bought MS Office with my computer.  HP will not help me without a charge because it is Microsoft's problem. 

Please help/offer suggestions if you can.

Thanks!

46 REPLIES 46
HP Recommended

I'm having the same exact problem. If anyone has found a fix please let me know, ty.

p.s. I'm on a dell laptop

HP Recommended

I am having this problem as well.  Access 2007, Windows 2007, HP machine.  After stumbling around the internet I've found that the issue appears to be related to the screen rendering of the table.  I can open the database file, import records into the table, but when I want to open the table, Access hangs if there are more than 40 records - all that will display on my screen without scrolling.  Some people have been able to open in Design view - I can open in Design view, but when I try to move or click on anything it hangs.  If I have less than 40 records, it opens fine and functions well.  This happens with old and newly created files, imported data and hand-entered data, MDB or ACCDB files,  it doesn't matter at all.  The only thing that matters is the number of records in the table.

As noted above, this pretty much renders Access useless.  I have installed all updates, reinstalled MS Office and reinstalled all updates, nothing has helped.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem this weekend.  I had just created a new form for an existing Access program and added a button to access it.  Worked fine but next time I opened the program and went to an entirely unrelated form that had been operating for over a year ( to access a table by the way) the program would hang as described.  I found that by converting the macros (that are automatically created when you create a button to open a form) to Visual Basic (there is a button to do just that...) it solved the problem. 

I wouldn't have found this except by going over each change made since the previous revision a week earlier.  I would say the form had compiled incorrectly and corrupted the db.  Even running compact and repair would not fix it prior to converting the macro to vb.   May or may not help your problem as the solution seemed completely unrelated to the problem.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, that's not the case here.  This is a very simple table, 2 fields, no buttons, no forms, no macros.  I can create a new database with just one table, or open an old one with just one table, and I can open the table.  But if the table contains more than 40 records, I can still open the database, but not the table.

Thanks though!

HP Recommended

Hi,

I got the same problem...I'm running on Windows Vista 64 bits, Access 2007, both updated to the latest SPs. When I reach a certain number of entry in a certain table (about 10), when I try to open it, Access stops responding. I am using this database for my work, so I need to fix this problem! I tried it on my old computer, which runs on Windows XP, and it runs perfectly...so I think the problem is with XP and not Access.

Please, I would be most grateful if you could suggest a solution!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I am experiencing this exact problem.   I am running Windows 7/64 bit on my new HP 8000 quad core 8gb mem system.   When I launch Access, everything comes up fine.  However, if I open a table with more then a few dozen records, the screen will not refresh and it hangs displaying only the first field of the first row in the database.   I eventually get the not responding stuff and end up having to close Access and start over.    Now, this is the kicker.   I have a Windows Virtual PC set up as well running XP in a virtual mode.   I do this because I have some legacy software that has some difficulty running Windows 7.   So, If I launch the Virtual PC running XP and MS Access, the same database I was having problems with works fine.    So, it is something in Windows 7 and/or something with the HP displaying the table.

It would be nice to be able to run MS Access 2007 professional on my native Windows 7 system.    Any clues?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Had a similar problem this morning with a couple of clients 8440w Elitebooks.

Eventually resolved it to be the HP ProtectTools Security Manager service, DpHost, that was causing the issue. Disabling this service immediately resolved the problem and Access started performing as expected again, ie normally.

I haven't had time to test further as to what exactly in the wanager/subsections is causing the issue, and I won't as the client won't want to pay for my time, but maybe someone else where who's working on their companies internal systems can use the info as a base to go from.

Hope it helps

Greg

HP Recommended

I had exactly the same problem on 2 new HP machines.

Databases that ran fine on my old machine now would not run queries, just show "Not Responding" and half refreshed data window. Same databases queries run fine from another machine.

After seeing Gregs post above, I uninstalled HP Protect Tools altogether as simply disabling the services didnt do the trick for my machine. Once uninstalled the query ran fine and displayed the result as per normal.

Funny thing though, on a third new HP laptop in our office, the user was not experiencing the issue. The only difference is that the three machines were in a different state of HP Protect Tools configuration. I had not configured/setup HP Protect Tools at all on my machine which was experiencing the problem. The other machine which had the problem had only configure the finger print reader (my machine doesnt have one) and the machine which was NOT experiencing the issue had Credentials Manager configured.

Anyway, I thin HP need to acknowledge this as a serious issue with their business machines if they are going to keep supplying HP Protect Tools.

Doug

HP Recommended

Thanks very much!  Stopping services didn't help me either, but uninstalling did.  I uninstalled:

Drive Encryption for HP Protect Tools  > reboot > no change

Device Access Manager for HP Protect Tools > reboot > no change

Privacy Manager for HP Protect Tools  > BINGO!  This did the trick.

Thanks for posting your experience.  I have been using Access on another machine for months.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.