Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I had the same issue on an EliteBook 8440p.  I uninstalled HP Protect Tools, restarted the laptop and Access functions properly.  I hope this gets fixed in Protect Tools.  I enjoyed having the fingerprint reader setup with my login information.

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, Access 2007.

HP Recommended

Hey there i am also having this problem while running Access 2007 Professional Plus SP2. i have just purchased this computer in June 2010 Pavilion dv7-4080us running Windows 7 Home Premium. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

Access 2007 was hanging because of a conflict with the driver software for the fingerprint reader - Digital Persona Pro 3.01.  I tried replacing it with Digital Persona Pro 4.10 but I still had problems with Access 2007.  The fix was to stop using the fingerprint login and disable/remove Digital Persona Pro.  I removed the software in Oct 2009 and haven't had any problems with Access hanging since then.

You can check if Digital Persona Pro is causing your problem by disabling it on System Configuration's "Services" tab and "Start-up" tab, rebooting, and then running ACCESS to see if the problem repeats.  Use the "msconfig" command to access the System Configuration. 

I hope that helps.  

Lucin

HP Recommended

Disabling Digital Persona corrected the problem but it is not a permanent fix.

HP Recommended

Ladies & Gents,

I'm running Access 2007 on an HP4720 with Windows 7 64-Bit OS and have experienced several of the problems mentioned and strange variations of them.  Nevertheless, I think found the solution-- at least that which seems thus far to have solved all of the problems I have been experiencing. It is simply to run Access as an administrator. In order to do this, you will have to locate the Access executable on your system. On mine it is in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSACCESS.EXE". Next, make a shortcut of it on your desktop or anywhere you wish. To run Access without the subject problems, right click on the shortcut you made and select "Run as administrator." Note that you can't do this from the shortcut made by the Microsoft installation as it is not standard shortcut.

Similar strange and inexplicable problems have been found among several programs having to do with the same issue of rights as they are run. As an aside and perhaps subject for a forum elswhere, this entire matter of rights assignment on executing programs and related security concerns may be better addressed. It has thus far been a concern and hurdle for me and one that I'm planning to research in order to determine the best overall approach to take.

HP Recommended

Hey there. So i never deleted SimplePass or DigitalPersona drivers due to the fact that I would rather fight with Access than lose my fingerprint log-in (super useful) and opted to use Alman678's idea, and I am happy to report that this shortcut fix is successfully working on both Office 2007 Pro+ and 2010 Pro (recently purchased). However, is there any way to forward this problem to HP or DigitalPersona???? Its still kinda annoying that i have a $1500 Machine running the latest Software (Windows 7 64bit & Office 2010 Pro) yet some drivers that have nothing to do with Office is causing this problem.

HP Recommended

The fix relayed on 7/18/2010 is a standalone solution that is not dependent on removing any of the fine HP ProtectTools. I am using all of those tools and MS Access works fine. The problem that was addressed and resolved relates essentially to the Windows UAC (User Account Control) implementation.

Windows UAC is a great security feature, however; you will have to accommodate certain programs, such as MS Access, to run properly under it by explicitly running them as administrator, as discussed above. Alternatively, you can remove UAC from your system, but that is unadvisable from a security standpoint. To maintain UAC and run programs explicitly as administrator, you can do that on an each-time basis or permanently. To set an application to run permanently in administrator mode, follow the following instructions:

Note: If you are doing this while logged on as a standard user instead of an administrator, then you will need to also click on the Change settings for all users button and type in the administrator's password.

1. Right-click the application executable file or shortcut directly thereto, and then click Properties.
  2. Click the Compatibility tab.
  3. Select the Run this program as an administrator checkbox, and then click OK.

Note the following effects of this setting:.

The UAC prompt for permission comes up when you start an application set to run as administrator. If you decline to do so, the application will not come up.

When a file created by the application is clicked on to open it, a beep and error message comes up saying that there was a problem sending the command to the program. When a a shortcut directly to the executable is clicked, they do not come up.

The message is of nothing detrimental or problematic and can be simply closed. Alternatively, if you want to bypass the beep and message, just open the application and then from within it open the file you want.

HP Recommended

I ran into this same issue on my HP dv7-4070us. Brand new laptop with preinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and a fresh install of Microsoft Office Professional 2010.

Not always, but certainly most of the time, attempting to view a table in an Access database hangs after painting just the first cell. When it does not hang, there is a noticable pause (around 1/3 to 1/2 second) after the first cell is drawn before the remaining cells are displayed.

I stopped and disabled the "Biometric fingerprint ..." service (DigitalPersona - DpHostW.exe) and after that everything is fine - no pauses and no hangs (tho I have lost use of the fingerprint reader). For me this was a better trade of than asking my user to not click on databases to open them per the last post.

Thanks all who posted here to lead me to solving this frustrating problem. I hope a permanent fix is found.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Finally, after taking 8 hours to de-encrypt my hard drive so I can remove the HP encryption tool and remove the HP Support tools, I now have an MS Access program that I can actually use.  

I am so glad I was able to find the posts of this thread on the net or I would have been reloading the entire system.  (And since drive encryption would have been enabled, I would have had the same problem)

HP YOU definitely need to resolve this.    I like the security aspect of having my drive encrypted, but I also like having the ability to run applications on my computer too.

So, in a nut shell, after removing the system tools and drive encryption, MS Access works.

Thanks for all the info in the previous posts.

Jeff

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.