Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@jjanoian wrote:

Finally, after taking 8 hours to de-encrypt my hard drive so I can remove the HP encryption tool and remove the HP Support tools, I now have an MS Access program that I can actually use.  

You only need to disable the finger print service. 🙂

/Yamaeda

HP Recommended

I just installed a new HP Compaq 8000 Elite-PC at a clients office that had this problem. I tried first to run it as administrator and that worked fine, didnt go with that solution though as end users shouldn't have to remember stuff like that.

Uninstalled the HP ProtectTools Security Manager as they didn't use this software anyway, solved the issue straight away.

Might be an update for the HP ProtectTools Security software that resolves this issue but didn't bother looking for one.

HP Recommended

I have found the conversation about Access database hanging very useful, because I have been struggling with the same problem for a while now after buying a new HP laptop. Could you just please tell me how to disableuninstall the HP Protect Tools Security application?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Sorry, my previous post should have read "diasable/uninstall".

HP Recommended

I know this thread is old, but if it helps.....

Two issues that i have struck.

1) Running Access as Admininstrator "fixes" the tables not populating problem

2) Suspending or stopping the WLAN Auto Config in Services "fixes" the "Not Respnding" problem in design mode.

HP Pavilion DV6 3131TX

Win 7 Home Premium

MS Office 2007 Enterprise

Thinking of upgrading to Win 7 Pro to see if that works.

HP Recommended

I too am having this problem. Even uninstalled microsoft and re-installed but no luck. Can anyone help?

HP Recommended

I solved this 3 year long problem with the following batch file (after reading the above comments):

@echo on
rem biometric authentication service temporary removal
sc stop dphost
pskill dpagent.exe
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\msaccess.exe"
sc start dphost

This batch file stops the service and the task that causes Access to hang.

It then starts Access. (the batchfile command window will remain open)

Once you finish and close Access, the batch file restarts the service, and closes itself.

If you don't know what sc.exe or pskill.exe are, just google them.  Works like a champ, and keeps my finger print reader working!  I no longer want to take a hammer to my machine.  😉

HP Recommended

I have tried the below on my HP Pavilion Entertainment PC, but do not work on my HP ProBook 4520s, any suggestions or different Batch File to use?

@echo on
rem biometric authentication service temporary removal
sc stop dphost
pskill dpagent.exe
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\msaccess.exe"
sc start dphost

This batch file stops the service and the task that causes Access to hang.

It then starts Access. (the batchfile command window will remain open)

Once you finish and close Access, the batch file restarts the service, and closes itself.

HP Recommended

The batch file is still working fine for me, and I'm glad it works on one of your machines. It's odd that a fingerprint reader could hang ACCESS, but temporarily removing the reader was the only solution for my machine.  For your ProBook, I'd suggest removing any programs or services that drive special features of the ProBook, and see if ACCESS works ok.  It's seems hit-or-miss, but just keep experimenting.

HP Recommended

I too have experienced the the problem of MS Access hanging when opening a table that is bigger than the window but smaller than 231 records. This started when I upgraded from MS Office 2003 to MS Office 2010 on my HP dv7-4190us computer. This thread helped me identify the problem but I seem to have found an easier fix than I've seen on the thread.

The problem went away when I changed the settings on the fingerprint reader. I unchecked the "Prompt to add logons for logon screens" and that is all it took to get a fully functioning MS Access again! I don't even have to shut down.

It also works to disable the fingerprint reader with MSConfig.exe or to stop the Processes by DigitalPersona with Task Manager.

I believe it also improves the performance of an MS Access form opening in another database.

My configuration:

HP dv7-4190us with Windows 7 64bit home. It appears that the only DigitalPersona software is related to the fingerprint reader.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.