Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
21-h013w

I am working on a customers all in one desktop that powers on but there is no output to screen, the back light does not even appear to come on. The hard drive lighet blicks steadily once about every 2 or 3 seconds. Putting my ear to the back of the system I can hear something running but not sure if it is the HD or the fan or both. The power supply is putting out 19.85 volts.

Anybody have any ideas what this could be or have a link to point me to. I did look at the troubleshooting section of the support website but that all appears to be broad and could not find any codes that match up to what I am seeing.

Thank You

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello

I do not build and sell systems to customers.

I do build my own systems.

It sounds like the PC is booting (HDD light activity) but the graphics or monitor is maybe in trouble. HP does not publish much detail on consumer systems. You are probably on to something with respect to the back light.

Interesting you  are not getting a graphics failure error code.

An HP search of model 21-013w shows a number of systems so I can't look at specifics on this PC.

Hey, I can't be sure , but it looks like a monitor problem (back light)

Grzy

HP Recommended

I do not believe it is booting, the HD light is a steady blick once every 2 or three seconds, if it actually was booting it would be random. Also if it was booting it would eventually stop, but it continues until the power supply is removed or the system is turned off.

I am leaning toward a bad board or processor given the lack of error beep codes, no video  or any other activity other than a steadily blinking HD light. I just need some confirmation.

HP Recommended

Hello amd64

You will not get official confirmation in this forum.

Most members are not HP employees, myself included. Some folks work for HP but may not have access to granular information needed to diagnose your problem. They will direct you to HP Support. An HP that is out of warranty means it will cost $$ to fix. Replacement MB's for older HP PC's can get expensive.

All In One HP PC's are similar to working on laptops/notebooks. You usually have to replace the MB when something fails.

Bad MB could be anything from graphics, assuming it is integrated, which is usually the case on this type of PC, to just about anything preventing the PC to POST or load Windows.

Could ba a failing external power brick.

Grzy

HP Recommended

I realize all of that, I have 16 years experience working on PCs, I have owned notebooks from other manufactors, but have only bought HPs brand new. I currently have 3 HPs and have owned at least 3 others.

What I meant by confirmation is either a link that says "if you have these syptoms, this is your problem" or someone who has had or experienced the same thing in the past and knows for sure what the problem is

I am just trying to make sure I do my customer due dilligence. I want to make sure I have exhausted every possible solution and / or resource before I tell him he needs a new computer.

HP Recommended

Hello amd64

You will not get the answer you desire in this forum.

I have built desktop PC's since 1996. So I have almost 21 years experience.

I service HP laptop/notebook PC's and HP AIO PC's. I have serviced and reversed engineered HP,  Lenovo , IBM, and Dell PC's.

I have used laptops in a corporate environment dating back to 1993. 

Don't know what else to tell you.

Contact HP Support for this PC to get an answer to your problem.

Grzy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.