Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

CPU Fan Has Failed! PC will automatically power down

HP Pavilion Slimline s3714uk Desktop PC, running windows 7.

I started to get CPU fan failure message  and the PC would not boot, I opened up the case and the CPU fan seems to be connected and working.

Error message is “"ERROR: CPU Fan Has Failed! PC will automatically power down in a few seconds. Service the PC immediately to prevent damage to the PC."

I have found the following advice:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00013522

However the bios version I have does not have the option to switch off the fan monitor. How can I fix this issue please: many thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my A6130N and like you there's no option in the bios for fans, etc.

This isn't a real fix, but you can hit the F2 key when you see the message (at least on my machine) to bypass the warning and continue booting...

HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Elite m9660be Desktop PC:

After replacing the fan we always receive the message when starting, and within a few seconds the PC shuts down.

ERROR: CPU Fan Has Failed! PC will automatically power down in a few seconds. Service the PC immediately to prevent damage to the PC.

PC works fine with new fan.

Suggested solution is not showing the option from HP. What can we do to fix this? Any suggestions (beside typing F2 at startup?)

HP Recommended

Does the fan work? If so, you may want to replace the CMOS Battery.

IoniaPCWizard "Your personal GuRu next to you!"
HP Recommended

with all due respect what does the cmos battery have with the inability to monitor the cpu fan from the bios? I am a technicinan and I have one of these models in my possession. The fan is working fine but the bios on post gives a cpu fan error. hitting f2 bypasses the error and the machine runs fine. What is the real fix for this issue HP? thanks btw I have replaced the cmos batter with no affect..

HP Recommended

After leaving my computer on standby for over two years, my tech finally found that the speed of the fan which was always running when it "failed" at startup test, was too slow.  He checked all the fan parameters, and found that it was just not fast enough at startup, so installed a better fan and larger heat sink.  No problems with cold startup since!  Not an expensive fix for a very annoying problem!  When I accidently powered off, or lost electricity, it would take five to fifteen "trys" to finally start up the computer.  Now, simply starts on first try.

HP Recommended

Hi Susielee.  what was the heat sink and cpu fan that the tech installed in your HP computer?  I got a used HP s5120y computer from a longtime friend that is missing a processor fan but the heatsink is there.

update 2/14: never mind, my old friend forgot to give me the CPU fan, which he did a few days ago.  I used a flashlight to check if the fan is working and it is but I'm still getting "CPU fan has failed" error everytime I power on the computer but the cpu fan spins okay at normal speed.  replacing the cmos battery did nothing to solve the problem.

I will either replace the whole heatsink & fan before I will consider replacing the motherboard, which seem to have a least 1 ruptured capacitor on the board - that indicates some parts of the motherboard are starting to fail, like the fan sensors.  The HP part number of the board printed on a sticker in the HP slimline S5120Y computer is "513426-001"

So in short replace the heatsink & fan assembly first.  Then replace either the power supply and chassis fans.  If those don't fix the CPU fan failed message at bootup, replace the whole motherboard.

HP Recommended

I was going crazy with this error. The CPU fan worked fine and no noise, It did not even let me go into the BIOS settings, it was shutting down immediately.

I tried, everything I could think of. I was about to order a new motherboard and decided to try a bunch of old cpu fans that I  had laying around.

I tried one after another, and on the 7th fan, it booted up, no problems, tried another fan and it worked again, tried the fans that did not work previously and it worked!!!!!

Connected the original fan and.... IT WORKED!!!!

All I can think of is that the motherboard was in an error state and could not recover, one of the other fans cleared it and it was back in business.

I hope this helps

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.