Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
CQ 2000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have 3 Qompaq CQ 2000's at home. I wanted to install new windows on them, but the pc doesn't see any device i plug into the machine. I plugged in my 3 different bootable USB devices, 2 of my friends bootable USB devices, and a lot of different windows installation disks. Devices does work, but the boot order menu doesn't see them even though i've done anything i can do. In the Bios i can see the devices that i plug in. I tried to install the windows 7/8/10/XP/Vista on the harddrive from another computer, but now the compaq won't even recognize the drive. Please help me.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Osman_00

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand the drive isn't being recognized as of now and you have been attempting to install an upgraded OS,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

I recommend you reseat the hard drive, ensure it's detected in the BIOS and the follow the below information:

Since you've mentioned that the OS supplied by HP was: Windows 7 upgrading or downgrading the OS using a retail version of the windows, I'm afraid is not supported by HP.

Unfortunately, I can only help you once you’re back on OEM,

If you need assistance obtaining a recovery media to restore the HP Supplied OS back on your computer, please Click here for the details.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've installed windows 7, 8, 10, vista and xp but every time I put the harddrive in the compaq it says no boot disk found. I can see the harddrive in the bios settings, but i can't see it in boot option menu

HP Recommended

@Osman_00

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

the error message-"No boot disk found" could represents one of two things, it's either a hardware failure within the HDD or the HDD isn't able to boot using the OS installed as it's corrupted,

Here's what you'll need to do, in order that you may identify the same:

Step 1: Perform a hard reset

HP Notebook PCs - Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset

Step 2: Restore BIOS default settings

Step 3: Test the hard drive using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI (In your case, Skip to Step 4)

Step 4: Reseat the hard drive (here's a video that shows how to re-seat the drive: Click here)

Step 5: Perform an HP System Recovery

If none of the above actions resolved the error condition, back up your personal data and then perform an HP System Recovery on the notebook. See one of the following documents for instructions:

Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've already tried all of them, i don't really use the computers, i just wanted to see if they could be made, But thank you very much for your help 🙂

HP Recommended

@Osman_00

Thank you for the replying,

Perhaps you could tell me what the test results where? did the hard drive test pass or fail?

When was the last time it worked? did you perform the recovery using the recovery media or was it using the partition by tapping on F11?

If you haven't done the recovery using the HP recovery media yet and if you don't have it in your possession: Click here to obtain one for yourself

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It wasn't only one disk, but i checked a couple of the disks, and they all passed, non failed. I actually don't know when they worked last time, because they were at the rooftop, and i just took them down a couple of weeks ago. 

I did try to use the recovery, but the compaq didn't recognized the partition, but my other computer did recognize it.

But thank you for trying to help me anyway 🙂

HP Recommended

@Osman_00

Thank you for replying,

It looks like the recovery media should resolve your concern as it creates a new partition and then install the OS automatically,

If you have trouble ordering the media online, simply contact HP via phone and they'll place the order for you:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks I'll do it tomorrow, and i'll contact you if it doesn't help.

Thank you very much for your help

HP Recommended

@Osman_00

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.