Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp z420
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Hello. I cloned my pc today. Have done this many times. I use acronis 14. Much to my surprise, my pc will not boot from the newly cloned drive OR the Original hard drive. It says there is no boot disk. I cannot go to safe mode at all. Can't get to a command prompt. I can get to system setup but that Doesnt seem to do much. I am running dps test but don't think I'll get anywhere with that. Suggestions??? Thanks much!!!
19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Is the original hard disk in MBR format?  Since you are using Windows 7 that is probably the case.

I suggest doing the following on the clone target disk first.

If you boot to a Windows 7 installer and go to a comand prompt ,you will be able to repair the MBR(master boot record). After that is done, barring any other issues, the disk should be bootable again.

Read the details in the tutorial at the following third-party web page.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Hello, thanks for the reply. I did it have a windows 7 installer so I ordered the software from neosmart. I ran the software but now I'm getting a definitive message; it's saying "windows failed to start" and ends with the boot configuration data for your pc is missing or. Contains errors"

I know my machine is 64 bit and I purchased a hp Windows 7 Pro SP1 64Bit OS Restore Recovery OEM DVD Disc and am waiting for it to arrive (Was that the correct recovery DVD).

Is there anything else I can do to correct the boot configuration data?
HP Recommended

I wouldn't have bought the software from NeoSmart. All the link was for was for you to see how to use the command line to repair the MBR.

If the new isssue is the boot configuration daata the there is also a command line repair available for that.

1. Open Command Prompt from Advanced Startup Options or System Recovery Options menu. Note: The Command Prompt available from these diagnostic menus is very similar to the one you may be familiar with within Windows. ...
  2. At the prompt, type the bootrec command as shown below and then press Enter: bootrec /rebuildbcd

That should do it.

If you need a windows 7 installer you can make your own. I can provide information on how to do that or you can search the internet or look on YouTube.com to find a tutoruial.  I don't know which architechure the Windows 7 you have. Is there a Windows COA on your notebook which says what is installed?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
First, I cannot begin to thank you enough for your help on this matter.

I don't see how to get to a command line though. I do not have that recovery disk yet which I ordered. I could get to a command line using neosmart but it Doesnt seem to be pointing to the correct drive. I have Windows 7 pro, 64bit. It only seems to boot from cd if I go to setup and disable EFI boot services. Is that correct? Anyway if you can help me get to a command prompt that points to c: that would be great. Thanks again for your help!!!
HP Recommended

Use the following Microsoft website

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

Use one of the generic keys at the following link.

http://www.fitzweekly.com/2016/06/generic-windows-installation-keys.html

Create a usb  Windows 7 64 bit installer in GPT format with RUFUS.

Rufus

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

How to video

HP Recommended
Thanks very much for the info. I will try tomorrow ( I am going away tonight). I will report back to you tomorrow. Thanks again.
HP Recommended
Hello again.

Well I tried to create a DVD with the generic key but it doesn't seem to accept it.

I did get a link to create a startup DVD from neosmart. I created it. It would not do an auto repair. I went to the command prompt. It took me to x:\windows\system32

I entered bootrec /rebuildbcd and it says "successfully scanned windows installations. Total identified windows installations: 0.The operation completed successfully. "
But the problem is not resolved.

Thoughts?
Alan 917.547.9448

HP Recommended
Also, I just tried again. It says, " if you are operating system isn't listed click loaded drivers and then install drivers for your hard disks". My operating system is not listed. When I click "load drivers" and press OK it brings me to my system32 folder. Don't know wgattto choose from there.
HP Recommended

I tried downloading a Windows 7 Pro ISO without success as well.

It is looking like you will have to wait until the recovery disk set arrives.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.