Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Isn't that the same as what I created? Di you think I'm betting off rebuilding??
HP Recommended

No and yes.

It is and it isn't.

What you created was a vanilla Windows 7 installation flash drive, without drivers.

The factory created recovery media is specific to your notebook model. It also includes all required driver and the option of a few types of recoveries in the HP Recovery Manager. It can also allow you to access system restore and repair of non-booting drives.

What you you mean by"Di you think I'm betting off rebuilding??"

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Well, first this happened on a desktop. I have a 420z workstation. It was configured with two 1TB hard drives. So, I mainly use the d:\ drives to store data.

I'm just very confused as to why all this happened. I did a clone of my c: drive. Something I've done many many times over the years. I use acronis. But this time when all was done neither the orig it clone would boot.

What us EFI? At one point I disabled it because I couldn't boot from my cd while EFI was enabled.

The program I got from geosmsrt allows me to look at the files on the drive. Everything is there.

I didn't think there are any system files on the d: drive and I was right. I found a clone of the d: drive and (because I was just pulling at straws) tried to boot with my c: drive original and the cloned d: drive. No success.

So now I'm waiting for an hp recovery disk which should arrive on Monday and, as a backup to that, I purchased windows 7 software with a license ($40). Thats arriving later in the week. Just want my system back...

Do you have any idea what happened here??

I don't know if you can call but I'd love to discuss

Alan

HP Recommended

Oops that was [Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended
Hello again. Wanted to give you an update. The people at geosmart sent me an ISO fro a windows repair / install cd but it's nothing more than what I downloaded earlier: no drivers.

Do I wanted to ask: I purchased a cd (the one that's expected on Monday); it is "HP Windows 7 Pro SP1 64Bit OS Restore Recovery OEM DVD Disc w/ OEM HDD". Will this have the drivers I need fir my hp 420z workstation?

Also bought a copy of windows 7 install with a license key. Will that have the basic drivers I need to repair or reinstall windows 7 on my 430z if necessary??
HP Recommended

The recovery media that you bought will have all of the required drivers. Is it  one that is specifically for your z420 workstation?

You can actually use the Windows 7 installation disk.  Chhose the correct architecture (32 or 64-bit)

The drivers for your workstation are located at the following HPE support link.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z420-workstation/5225033

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Well, I think I am giving up here. I got the install disk today for window 7 64 bit and we got the same results. It's asking for drivers. I took a look and found some drivers under windows... but although 2 of them were listed as being for the pc i have it didn't do the install. I was willing to install new op system as my data is on another drive but it wouldn't format and Reinstall the windows 7.

I tried so many ways here that I am just going to give up and get a new pc. Don't see another alternative but also don't understand what happened! I tried plugging In the SATA cables all varieties (there is a data cable with s1, s2 and s3. Tried all 3) but can't get it to work. Maybe i blew something on the motherboard??

Anyway, can't continue on like this. Thoughts? Hp does not offer a set of recovery disks for this pc anymore. Would a full store purchased copy of win7 do the trick??
HP Recommended

If I were you, I would take my PC to a shop and have them do the install. It seems that you are not familiar with the peculiarities of installing Windows operating systems. Many people are not and I am certainly not judging you. I would give up on a z420 workstation.  It is a powerful machine and worth the effort.

Installing Windows 7 to a GPT formatted disk is more challenging than installing it to an MBR format type hard drive. The reason is that you have to create the specific type of installer that the format type requires.  You can boot with a Windows installer disk,  go to a command prompt and change the type of disk format type that is already present. Doing that involves using the DiskPart utility and for some people that may be going into the deep end of the pool.

HP Recommended
Thanks. I decided to take your advice and brought the pc into staples. Over the phone, he said the charge would probably be $129. Which is fine although I did manage to convert a hard drive to gpt and still didn't get anywhere. But technology changes fast apparently. Never had issues like this when I was a tech.

Anyway have one more question. I used to image pcs; created images in ISO format. It was very fast and very reliable. Can you recommend a good software product to create a hard disk image in ISO format to my external drive?
HP Recommended

I was a Microsoft MVP from 2011-2015 and there were a few perks.

One of the perks was that some manufacturers would give us full versions of their software to use and evaluate. 

The one that I found gave me the best results for cloning  from a system to a disk was Paragon Software's DriveCopy Professional. 

I still have it and use it as you can see from the image below.

cloning.png

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.