Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi,
i have window 10 frozen problem in HP laptop. Could anyone please get me the solution for it? the problem is actually i wanted to uninstall Avast Antivirus software due to some problem but while un-installing it, i used task manager to end this task forcibly as that un-installation process got stuck, immediately after that my window 10 got frozen and even no keyboard key or mouse is working on the screen. Even for shut down, i had to remove the battery as there was no other option left for me to do power and window shut down. But when i again boot up the window 10, it works fine only for initial 30 secs after start-up, then everything gets frozen and not able to work. i tried this many times but not succeeded. Please kindly help me to sortout this problem. Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @kapilmittal,

Good day. Thank you for stopping by the HP forums. 🙂 I understand that the computer freezes and locks up. It will be a delight to assist you with this.

Terrific description, splendid effort and stupendous diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• Did you try to perform a system restore to an earlier time?
  • Were you able to uninstall Avast software completely?
  • Please let me know the complete model# of the computer?

For a start please try these steps:

• We need to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related.

Please run complete system diagnostics from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

• Please follow the steps from the option “Run the Extensive Test (2 hours or more)”. Once it passes, please run the component tests for all devices which complete quickly. The extensive tests take about 2 hours to run,
  • If any test fails, it displays a failure code. Please make a note of it and contact HP phone support to get the computer serviced.

Otherwise, please try a system restore to an earlier time from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545 and follow the option “Restore your computer when Windows cannot start normally”

Finally, if nothing works, please perform a system recovery to factory settings from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961  and follow the option “Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly”, This should do the trick for you.

Please keep me posted. I will keep a watch for your reply. Please perform these steps diligently and patiently. This should do the trick for you.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @DavidSMP,

First of all thanks to your really helpful response.

As per your response, i want to let you know the info you asked as following:

1. I never tried or fortunately never needed to restore my system to factory version  ever after puchase.

2.Actually I tried to uninstall Avast Antivirous but that got stuck after few minutes, so i thought to  stop it intermittently by using end task from Task Manager. so finally i was not able to uninstall Avast software.

3. Sorry, i could not understand of your 3rd query regarding computer mode#. Could you revert back with some other format of query understandable by me?:smileyhappy:

And regarding the tricks as you suggested,  i want to ask how will it work because system gets hanged immediately after 30 secs. All the links you told, i think will not work. is there any other offline options apart from that? I have internet connection but will not work i know.

waitng for your response.

Thanks.:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

Hi @kapilmittal,

I read the post. thanks for the reply. For now please run system diagnostics from the link that I have sent you. This is not inside windows. It is from outside the operating system. This is being done to eliminate any hardware failure.

If it freezes during running extensive diagnostics, then the computer definitely has a hardware issue and you need to contact HP phone support to get the computer serviced.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

• If the diagnostics pass, you could try a system restore again outside of windows by pressing the F11 key as soon as the computer starts. if the computer is freezing only in windows then this option should work.
  • Otherwise, the next step is a system recovery. The steps to which is provided in my previous post.

Trust me I've done everything here to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. 🙂 You've  been absolutely superb to work with, by displaying great technical skills. 🙂 I thank you again for your time. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and things work great for you. 🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

H @DavidSMP,

Thanks for letting me know and correcting my thoughts.

I have started the hardware diagnosis as you suggested and it is going on, will let you know the status and all.

My only concern is while doing any of the diagnosis steps (for example system recovery ) as you suggested, is there any possibility or chance to loose my hard drive data? Because i am really worried about any data loss.

waiting for your response.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi DavidSMP,

The diagnosis for system hardware is performed and  found passed all.

Then i tried to restore my system at earlier restore point but at the end the system restore got stopped with message regarding not allowing the access to one file by antivirus. So i tried to disable the antivirus hardly within 30 secs time after start up window as it gets hanged immediately. So finally i couldn not disable antivirus.  I know all this problem is being occured due to Antivirus only but i could not find the way to get rid of this antivirus. Could you please get me any solution which is not outside the window to disable antivirus.

I am afraid that if i do  the final option i.e. system recovery, all my  desired installed  softwares and important files might be lost. 

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@kapilmittal

Hi,

as @DavidSMP is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

I suggest you to perform the System refresh (repair). This should not delete the data. Please click on this link for steps to perform a system refresh. Though the link provides steps for Win8, the steps should with for Win10 too. 

Hope this information helps. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi @DavidSMP/@MKazi,

Thanks for all your responses and replies as atleast that computer locks up problem got sorted out.

I got my system restored to an earlier build which was running well. 

The system is working fine now. My only concern is how to remove already installed Avast Antivirus application as it is neither being uninstalled nor being working (i.e scanning and protecting system) nor allowing installation directory to delete. I want to get rid of it permanently. Could you please suggest any way for it?  

Actually i have window 10 which has in built antivirus Windows defender so i  no need to have any other antivirus. is that window defender good enough to have it? Could you please put some light on it to get more clarity?

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @kapilmittal,

I read the response. I am really glad for you that the original freezing issue of the computer is resolved. after trying the steps given to you.  .To uninstall avast please click here to run the Avast uninstall utility. This should do the trick for you. Please keep me posted. I will keep a watch for you reply. Windows defender is a good security software and that should take care of things for you. You don't need any additional third party antivirus package like avast installed.

We really worked as a team to crack it. It was a tough nut to crack. 🙂 I am astonished by your computer skills and levels of technical expertise. It indeed has been a genuine pleasure to share this platform with you. 🙂 

Trust me I've done everything I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. I hope the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Do take care stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @DavidSMP,

Thanks for your response and encouraging me so to solve the problem.

The way you suggested to uninstall the Avast software, i have already tried so many times but still same problem persists.  I have tried all possible solutions which i could do like uninstalling normally from control panel, removing using AvastClear as you suggested and deleting installation directory itself but nothing is working. Atleast i was able to disable it permanently from task tray. So it is not working now. But i want to remove it from my system completely which is my only concern. Is there any other way to get rid of it?

waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.