Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
h9-1215t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have Slackware, WIndows 7, and Windows 10. All of them are 64 bit and they all work presently. Bios is what came with the PC.

The problem started when I went to Windows 10 to run windows update (haven't done it since the anniversary update).

I had a new game I wanted to play. I had updated by graphics card to a 1070 gtx. I downloaded the Nvidia drivers for it. They failed. I rebooted. I received an error "ntfs_file_system" with a list of options.  I selected one of the options to disable automatic restart after failure.

https://www.kapilarya.com/disable-automatic-restart-after-failure-in-windows-10

Then the next boot nothing came on the monitor. It was blank. I turned off the computer and tried again. The same result. I unplugged, and reset cmos using these instructions:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03132942

Still booting but nothing happening. Nothing on the monitor. I switched out the graphics card back to the one the PC came with. Nothing. I took out the ram. I tried booting and the same thing happened. I put it back in. I didn't have it set properly and got 5 beeps. I removed all the ram again (didn't have them all snapped in good). I put the 2 gb stick of ram in and the pc booted up. I could get into WIndows 10, Slackware, and Windows 7 using the UEFI in bios. Windows 7 picked up a file system with errors and wanted to run check disk. Its was non-os partition for just files. I mainly run linux and put files there to share between them.

I then tried adding the rest of the ram and the computer would turn on but nothing on the monitor. I took the 2x4gb out again and put in the 1070 gtx and it worked. I got the drivers installed. Windows 10 update is stuck at downloading 0 now. I took the 1070 gtx out and put the old card back in and tried putting the 2 gb stick in one of the slots one of the 4 gb was in. I got it to work. I put it back to where it was. Then tried the 4 GB the two slots they were in. The computer now cycles completely off and on on its own (with a short start up grunt and an orange indicator light that quickly stops) and nothing. The display turns on initially then goes to standby but nothing from the computer is being shown. I've continued to reset the cmos throughout my troubleshooting but it makes no difference.

The moral of the story I guess is that Windows 10 will brick your PC and don't re-set the ram! I tried re-setting it several times. The two 4 gb sticks just aren't working for me now. All the ram came with the PC when purchased.

Thanks for listening. I hope I gave enough information regarding my problem.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @RadicalDreamer,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having issues with the computer turning on and off after adding new ram. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you installed a retail version of Windows 10 or is it a free upgrade from HP?

If the issue started after installing a retail version of Windows 10, I would suggest you install Windows 7 the original operating system which was shipped with the computer for identifying the cause of the issue.

If you have created a set of recovery media soon after purchasing the PC, you can go ahead and initiate. Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So, please remember to back up your data before initiating system recovery. If for some reason the recovery fails. The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your desktop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry that my first post was a mess but I wanted to describe my experience and what I did. The computer came with 10 gb of ram. The ram is what was in the computer when purchased from HP. There is no new ram. Its the 2 4gb sticks that came with the computer that seem to cause the turn off and on problem at POST. 

I have two hard drives. The original has Windows 7 Home that came with the computer. Its all on one partition on that hard drive. Windows 10 Professional, Slackware and a NTFS partition with random files is on the second hard drive that I added. I used reFind to boot operating systems. I bought a Windows 10 professional key and downloaded the anniversary iso from Microsoft and installed that. I have had it installed since around last August. I just never really used it and the updates ended up accumulating since the last time I used it. I'm not sure how a failed update affected POST and prevented even the initial bios white text information screen from loading? I'm wondering if it was a coincidence and not a cause? It initially just turned on and was stuck before bios screen. Just a black screen. After removing and putting back the ram did it start turning off and on with a black screen.

Its been a while since I reinstalled Windows 7 so I'll go do that. I still have the recovery discs. If I take the 2 4 gb sticks of ram out I can access all the operating systems on my computer and it runs fine except sluggish with only 2 gb of ram.  Otherwise its stuck in what I suppose is POST if even one 4 gb stick of ram is in the computer. There is a new bios update for my computer. Do you recommend I apply it? 

I'll go reinstall Windows 7 and comeback!

Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

Hi @RadicalDreamer,

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

You could first go ahead and install Windows 7 on the PC and once done, you can run the Windows update if there is update available it should automatically get installed.

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.