Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion P6140f Desktop
Microsoft Windows Vista

Systen fan not working...*press F2*.

Opened computer, cleaned all the dust out...fan spins ok, when I turn computer on.

Still says fan not working.   AND, usb ports do not work, so I can't use my keyboard to press F2

I tried recovery  DVD, seems like the player doesn't work, either.

Green light stays lit all the time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MSRUSSELL64

It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he's out for the day 

And I'll be glad to help you out.

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service, that said, I'm sure it's been a pleasure assisting you so far,

And to help you further as you attempt to fix this concern (considering you haven't been able to Contact HP) I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey there! @MSRUSSELL64, 

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand system fan on your PC has stopped functioning.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

As you mentioned the USB ports and DVD drive is not working either.

Have you tried checking with different flash drives, Rear USB ports and different DVD's.

Please try updating BIOS and chipset drivers PC and check if it helps.

Link to update BIOS.

Also, update intel chipset drivers using this link.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for responding.

Made no changes...I  tried first front USB ports, then rear.   I had even purchased a new HP keyboard, thinking that was the probem.

Thanks to online suggestions, I unplugged the power waited over 10 seconds, then replugged, and turned on the computer.

It has a mind of it's own, it doesn't want to turn on, then I try laster, using different pressure on the switch, sometimes it turns on, sometimes it doesn't.

The fan as no problem spinnig around, but the message comes up when I AM able to boot the computer, it says the fan has failled.

It seems like my desktop became tired and gave up the ghost...lol.

Thank you again!

Spoiler

HP Recommended

@MSRUSSELL64, Thanks for your quick response and time.

As you mentioned when you boot your PC you are getting error system fan has failed.

Please try updating the BIOS and chipset drivers on your PC and check if it helps.

Also, run a system diagnostics and let me know the results.

Refer this article to know how to run system diagnostics on your PC.

If the hardware test fails, it certainly is an hardware issue with your PC.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When I AM able to turn it on...(the last time took me almost  days trying).....as mentioned  the F2 message appears.

I can not do anyhing to get into the Bios, etc.,  All my USB port do NOT work, so of course, i can not use the keyboard to arrow down, etc.

I even tried one of the restore discs, the DVD player opens but it is not reading that either.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

@MSRUSSELL64, thanks for your quick response and time.

I Appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Try swapping the hard drive from a different PC and check if it helps. If you still unable to boot into your PC.

It certainly seems to be a hardware issue, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for assisting me....

Spoiler

Looks like i'll have to purchase another computer....I have NO tech skills, I'm 68 yrs old, and am lucky to be able to install memory in my laptop...lol.

HP Recommended

@MSRUSSELL64

It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he's out for the day 

And I'll be glad to help you out.

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service, that said, I'm sure it's been a pleasure assisting you so far,

And to help you further as you attempt to fix this concern (considering you haven't been able to Contact HP) I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your message....

My first instinct WAS to post the serial number to make it easier for all, happy you suggested I don't do that.

I haven't contacted HP, as my computer is out of warantee, and the cost would be less to get another computer.

Thank you again.looking forward to the private message.

OH..just thought of something, I kept getting warniings that my hard drive was almost filled to capacity.  Even after I deleted files, ran scan disk, ect., it helped for a few days, then the message popped up again.   NO virus, or malware, I have a good program for those.

HP Recommended

Thank you for assisting...

I just replied to the private message I received.

He wanted a case number, but could't find one.

When I receive my next retirement check, I WAS thinking of purchasing a refurbashed computer from another Brand, as I was so unhappy with my HP.

But in receiving so much support from HP, I believe I will change my mind and get another HP Desktop..

Thank you and your team for being so great!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.