Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

My computer will shut down while idle for awhile. It hasn't done it while I am working with it. But if I leave it for awhile , when I return, it has shut down. I have the door off and have been watching to see if it is a fan issue,  but I can't see it shut down so I do not know which fan it is, or both.

Everything else is working fine on the computer and all of my programs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AunJan

Thanks for letting us know the results. 🙂

The message indicates that the hard drive is not detected by the PC. Please ensure that there is and DVD or USB connected to the PC as of now and re-run the test. 

If the issue persists, it looks like no hard drive is found or could be faulty Please open the cabinet and ensure the cables are plugged in by referring to this link: http://hp.care/2jViOTj

Finally, you may once again run the test and check the results for me. Keep me posted. All the best! 🙂

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@AunJan

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that your HP Pavilion p7-1234 Desktop shuts down automatically. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• Were there any software/hardware changes made?
  • Since when you are experiencing this issue?
  • Is it overheating?   

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi , Thanks you for your reply

I have not added any new harware or software recently. And I am assuming that it is over heating, but I am never here when it huts down.

I notice there is a little green light right below the plug at the top left side of the back panel.  I don't remember it being lit before.

I took it to Best Buy Geek Squad and they felt it was the larger fan and did not have it in stock.  I have left the side panel off the tower hoping I could see it shut down, no luck. I think it knows when I leave the Room!!!!

Before I get the fan, I wanted to ask for more advice.

Thanks,

AutnJan

HP Recommended

Now if I leave my computer for a while 20-25 minutes, and return the screen if blank, but the fans are still running. I try to wake it up by moving the mouse and nothing...... I have to restart it in safe mode again then restart normally. 

I'm at a loss

Aunt Jan

HP Recommended

@AunJan

I thank you for your quick response and understand the situation well.

• Please run a system extensive test on the computer to find out the defects.
  • Click here and follow the third step to run system extensive test.
  • Please check with the geek squad and confirm which fan they are referring to?

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I did perform some extensive testing and did a restore, the computer is running better now and not shutting down.

I have always had trouble installing Windows Updates and I feel that may have been part of the problem. 

Please give me your thoughts on this.

HP Recommended

Hi,

this is what I received when I preformed the tests:

no boot file name received, no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed. 

Exiting PXE ROM

HP Recommended

@AunJan

Thanks for letting us know the results. 🙂

The message indicates that the hard drive is not detected by the PC. Please ensure that there is and DVD or USB connected to the PC as of now and re-run the test. 

If the issue persists, it looks like no hard drive is found or could be faulty Please open the cabinet and ensure the cables are plugged in by referring to this link: http://hp.care/2jViOTj

Finally, you may once again run the test and check the results for me. Keep me posted. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.

I will re run the test

HP Recommended

@AunJan

Thanks for the reply.

Yes please run the test and let me know the outcome.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.