Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
p6531p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I know this is a common issue and I've been all over Google since it froze up yday trying all sorts of solutions.

I have an HP p6531p with an H-RS880-uATX mobo, 6GB of memory (3x 2GB sticks), and a SATA HDD...unsure of the processor. I left it on all weekend, as normal, with a few programs open along with a few Chrome tabs, came back yday morning and only the mouse would move. Couldn't click anything, close anything or even do Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Eventually I did a hard reset by holding down the power button until it shut off.

I powered it back up and it got stuck on this screen...just an example link, not a pic of my actual screen. I did a few more hard resets with no luck, then went through other problem solving ideas like unplugging everything and holding the power button down for 5 seconds, resetting the CMOS jumper, swapping HDDs, reseating the memory, swapped SATA cables and even tried other SATA ports on the board with both drives and both SATA cables. No luck though.

Any ideas? I've asked a few of my engineer co-workers too and they're stumped too.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AgDrumma07

You're welcome.

Yes, the part number and the model mentioned by you are correct. You may replace it with the same motherboard. 🙂

It was a privilege to share this platform with you. 

Keep me posted for any questions and all the best! 🙂

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@AgDrumma07

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion p6531p Desktop PC and after you left it on for the weekend, the PC stopped working and only the mouse pointer was visible. You had to perform a hard reset and since then the PC does not boot into Windows. I read that yo have tried restarting the PC a couple of times, reset the CMOS jumper, swapped the HDDs, reseated the memory, swapped SATA cables and even tried other SATA ports on the board with both drives and both SATA cables. But the issue still persists. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

I'll do my best to help you. 

Before we conclude this issue, let us perform a few steps to isolate the issue. Please perform the following steps:

• Power off the PC.
  • Please ensure the PC is in its original hardware configuration.
  • Disconnect all cables from the PC (including the power cable)
  • Press and hold the power button of the PC for 15 seconds and then release it
  • Reconnect only the monitor, keyboard, mouse and the power cable.
  • Power on the PC

If the issue persists then I recommend you to perform a BIOS rollback. The detailed steps from this link should help. 

Also, please check if you can run the hardware testL

• Turn on the computer and press the F9 key during the screen with the HP or Compaq logo.

Figure : Example of Boot screen that displays the key press to enter the BIOS test.

• Diagnostic Tools opens and performs a variety of hardware tests. Green checkmarks appear next to hardware items that pass the test. Any problems found are reported.

Figure : Screen example: Diagnostic Tools test

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please keep me posted how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

@MKazi wrote:

@AgDrumma07

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion p6531p Desktop PC and after you left it on for the weekend, the PC stopped working and only the mouse pointer was visible. You had to perform a hard reset and since then the PC does not boot into Windows. I read that yo have tried restarting the PC a couple of times, reset the CMOS jumper, swapped the HDDs, reseated the memory, swapped SATA cables and even tried other SATA ports on the board with both drives and both SATA cables. But the issue still persists. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

I'll do my best to help you. 

Before we conclude this issue, let us perform a few steps to isolate the issue. Please perform the following steps:

• Power off the PC.
  • Please ensure the PC is in its original hardware configuration.
  • Disconnect all cables from the PC (including the power cable)
  • Press and hold the power button of the PC for 15 seconds and then release it
  • Reconnect only the monitor, keyboard, mouse and the power cable.
  • Power on the PC

If the issue persists then I recommend you to perform a BIOS rollback. The detailed steps from this link should help. 

Also, please check if you can run the hardware testL

• Turn on the computer and press the F9 key during the screen with the HP or Compaq logo.

Figure : Example of Boot screen that displays the key press to enter the BIOS test.

• Diagnostic Tools opens and performs a variety of hardware tests. Green checkmarks appear next to hardware items that pass the test. Any problems found are reported.

Figure : Screen example: Diagnostic Tools test

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please keep me posted how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

@MKazi

Thank you so much for the reply and suggestions.  Unfortunately I did try your ideas and nothing is working.  Once I get to the boot screen, I cannot do anything.  None of the function key menu options work.  I press F9 multiple times with no response, then eventually I get a clicking sound from inside the PC everytime I press a button.  

If you have any other suggestions, I would be glad to try them.

HP Recommended

@AgDrumma07

You're welcome. 

Please check if there is a disk inside the DVD drive. Secondly, you may check if the clicking noise appears without the HDD.

If the clicking noise is without the HDD then it could be a HDD failure. 

Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

@MKazi wrote:

@AgDrumma07

You're welcome. 

Please check if there is a disk inside the DVD drive. Secondly, you may check if the clicking noise appears without the HDD.

If the clicking noise is without the HDD then it could be a HDD failure. 

Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

@hi @MKazi

There is no disk in the DVD drive.  I checked the clicking noise and it happens both with and without a HDD in the box.  

For further checking, I put the HDD in an external HDD dock and connected to a working computer and the drive can be read.  The working computer is Windows 8 and did a scan and repair on the drive.

HP Recommended

@AgDrumma07

Thanks for confirming that the HDD is good.

The evidence indicates towards the motherboard. I suggest you to reach out to our HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your PC. 

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

@MKazi wrote:

@AgDrumma07

Thanks for confirming that the HDD is good.

The evidence indicates towards the motherboard. I suggest you to reach out to our HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your PC. 

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Cheers! 🙂

Thank you!  I had a feeling it was the motherboard if everything else is functioning.  Since my system is out of warranty, can I just replace the motherboard with the same model?  HP #612498-001, MFG #H-RS880-uATX

HP Recommended

@AgDrumma07

You're welcome.

Yes, the part number and the model mentioned by you are correct. You may replace it with the same motherboard. 🙂

HP Recommended

@MKazi wrote:

@AgDrumma07

You're welcome.

Thank you so much for your help!  Kudos have been added!

HP Recommended

@AgDrumma07

I appreciate that. 🙂

It keeps us going. Take care! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.