Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 1414hp
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have to turn my computer on 2 or more times to get it to start. Also, monitor won't wake from sleep or hybernate?

I think it might be the BIOS, but when I look up my computer, the operating system only goes to windows 8, and I have windows 10-64 bit. How do I get information on the proper BIOS?

My computer has the following System BIOS: AMI v8.06, 8/29/2012. Since it is from 2012, I feel it needs to be updated, but I can't get to a page that will let me download a newer one. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Is this your PC?

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03517389

There is a newer BIOS but it might not install under Windows 10

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/HP-ENVY-h8-1400-Desktop-PC-series/5295996/...

IMHO, even if the BIOS does install, it might not solve the problem described.  Uses sometimes have problems with hibernation and sleep, so it might be better to just shut down in between times if you cannot fix it.

HERE IS A DOCUMENT on Sleep and Hibernate Issues

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, I upgraded my BIOS and it took. But I still have the same problem. It would be great to find something that works, but I’m still glad I can get into the computer at all even though its aggravating.

HP Recommended

I did not really think the BIOS update would solve the problem. The symptoms indicate possible a motherboard hardware malfunction.  Assuming the PC works OK after a successful start, have you considered leaving it on and disabling sleep or hibernation?  If I was having a startup problem, I think keeping it on for an extended period, just to see if continues to work, might be a viable option.  At least for now.

I am talking about leaving it run for days or weeks to see if anything manifests itself.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for your reply to my question about my HP Envy 1414 and HP 26" HD monitor.

Yes, I have also tried leaving the computer on and turning the monitor off. When I go to turn the monitor back on, same thing, blank screen, then I have to restart the computer and go through the 2 times thing. 

I have tried leaving the monitor on also, but when I click any key on the computer, it goes blank again...so I guess I'll just have to put up with all this till either the monitor or computer kicks the bucket.

HP Recommended

I find that interesting.  I leave my main computer on all the time but I turn off the monitor at times when I know I will be away for a while.  I have never had the monitor behave as described here.  I would not restart the computer under the circumstances you describe but would try  a different monitor or maybe hook up two monitors to see if the same thing happens to the other/both monitors.  Under the graphics card, assuming that card is still installed, it states:

Supports up to two displays at the same time in these configurations: DVI+HDMI and HDMI+VGA (using included adapter cable)

That is just a thought until whatever is going on gets caught and repaired/replaced.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I don't have another monitor, but may be able to borrow one.,..I'll try your suggestions and see if that works.

Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.