Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I need help fast!!!  I made a mistake last night and clicked a wrong box and now I can't get into my computer, Pavilion mx70.  I have tried every sign-in/password that I know of but none are working.  It was set up to automatically come up and you could pick which user you wanted to go with.  Now a screen comes up and askes for user name and password . . . which I can't get anything to work.

Can anyone help me get it back to the way it was originally????  PLEASE HELP.  🙂

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

In the user name type Administrator... leave the password blank

HP Recommended

Hi Shawn,

I tried typing in Administrator with no password like you said and it came back with "Unable to log you on because of an account".  What can I do now???  Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

When you see the Welcome screen just after booting up press  ctrl -alt -delete,  then you can type  Administrator as the user .

detailed instructions here http://tinyurl.com/2nw8y6

HP Recommended

OK, I tried the ctrl/alt/delete method and it would not bring up any screen but the regular sign in screen - which does not let me sign in with Administrator/no password.  It keeps telling me "cannot sign you on because of an account".  I did, however, try again and kept pressing F1 and got the boot up screen.  I went through everything I knew and tried changing the password to no password but it still won't let me sign on using Adm/no passwd.  I am at a total loss now and feel like a dummy because I did this.  Is there another way other than tossing the whole thing out in my yard?????  Thanks for any help I may get.

HP Recommended

Have you tried booting into safe mode? Once in safe mode change your password on your account and reboot into normal mode/.

HP Recommended

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!   I was able to get into Safe Mode and change the way I sign on to the computer.  I can't thank you enough for your help.  You are SUPER!!! :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended
Locked out of my HP whats safe mode
HP Recommended

Hello Bigbold,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

Safe mode is a mode that allows you to run Windows with just the basic drivers and nothing extra gets loaded. This allows you to identify issues and resolve them without the issue interfering in the running of the operating system. In the case here it would also have you logged in as an admin which would enable you to change your password and get back into your profile. I am providing you with HP Support documents below on the various Safe Modes. Simply choose the one that pertains to your operating system and follow the instructions provide by Shawn above on changing your password.

Windows XP Safe Mode

Windows Vista Safe Mode

Windows 7 Safe Mode

Windows 8 Safe Mode

I hope this answers your questions and helps you resolve your issue. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

When setting up Win 7 pro 64bit I was about done, but adding myself as admin - already setup primary user (daughter's) account but obviously I mistyped her password...she rebooted before i got a chance to add mine.  Hence unalbe to log in and fix.

I've tried F8 to get to safe mode - Command prompt but it again takes me to login (In safe mode) and unable to get past it.  This is a new computer not run but 4 hours max. . . her christmas present and I can't get it to let her in.  PLEASE HELP!

Eburgdad.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.