Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 589c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, so I have set a password for my BIOS setup, but I have forgotten it. I have reset the CMOS on my motherboard to factory standards, but it still asks for a password. Is there any sort of password I can use to access the bios and change this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to carefully check the motherboard jumpers and see if there is one labeled to clear the BIOS password.  Might be labeled like this...  CLR/PSWD

If you can find such a jumper on the motherboard, generally you would clear the password like this...

To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  2. Move the jumper to from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3
  3. Plug the power cord in, and turn ON the computer.  The power on password should be cleared.
  4. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  5. Then move the jumper back to default (pins 1-2).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to carefully check the motherboard jumpers and see if there is one labeled to clear the BIOS password.  Might be labeled like this...  CLR/PSWD

If you can find such a jumper on the motherboard, generally you would clear the password like this...

To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  2. Move the jumper to from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3
  3. Plug the power cord in, and turn ON the computer.  The power on password should be cleared.
  4. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  5. Then move the jumper back to default (pins 1-2).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.