Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
TouchSmart 610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I powered down the pc a number of times, even unpluging the power supply from the wall outlet for a few minutes, that did not help resolve the problem. Next I tried to reboot the PC using the CD system recovery and mantenance disk and that had no effect on the booting process at all.  When I powered up the PC the disk spins, the screen is black and there is just a cursor sitting up in the top left hand corrner and that where it stops when trying to boot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back,

First of all  I miss named the disk I was using, its called a Diagnostics Disc for Hardware which you are also able to boot your PC from. I fixed the problem by unplugging all USB peripheral devices (Neat Desk, External Harddrive, etc.) except for the wireless keyboard and mouse. Then I put the diagnostics disk(2011) in my all-in-one computer that had been upgrated to Windows 10 a few years ago and powered it down. When I powered it backup it booted up from the Diagnostics Disk and I was able to run diagnostics on the entire system, everything is working fine now. It seems like one of the USB devices was interfering with the booting process. I'm only restoring one device at a time and letting it run for a few days to see if I can determine which one caused the problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ggivens

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I see you're running Win10. Did the PC come preinstalled with Win10? Or, did you upgrade it from a prior OS to Win10?

This is important as the recovery/reset method is different for the two situations.

We can proceed when you provide the answers.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood,

A quick look-up on that model series specifies all 18 models are WIN 7 64 bit.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@ggivens

Apparently, your PC came with Win7 preinstalled, which means you must have done the Win10 Upgrade -- and that poses serious issues if you are trying to reset your PC using the built-in HP Recovery function.

The Win10 Upgrade is know to corrupt the Recovery partition stored there by the OEM that built the original machine. This pretty much guarantees that no HP Recovery is going to work: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Recovery-Manager-Blocked-After-Windo...

This means that RESET no longer works on your laptop due to your doing the Win10 Upgrade.

To actually restore your PC to its original condition, you need something known as HP Recovery Media -- but you have mentioned using a recovery and maintenance CD --and the recovery disk set I had for my HP Win7 PC was a set of 3 DVDs and a CD.  So, please explain what you mean by this CD, as I am not familiar with it.

We can proceed when you provide the information.

Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back,

First of all  I miss named the disk I was using, its called a Diagnostics Disc for Hardware which you are also able to boot your PC from. I fixed the problem by unplugging all USB peripheral devices (Neat Desk, External Harddrive, etc.) except for the wireless keyboard and mouse. Then I put the diagnostics disk(2011) in my all-in-one computer that had been upgrated to Windows 10 a few years ago and powered it down. When I powered it backup it booted up from the Diagnostics Disk and I was able to run diagnostics on the entire system, everything is working fine now. It seems like one of the USB devices was interfering with the booting process. I'm only restoring one device at a time and letting it run for a few days to see if I can determine which one caused the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.