Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6 2466eo

My  computer is the HP pavilion p6-2466eo.

High,

Bios refuses to startup after a HD-crash. The BIOS launches a request for a ""power-on-password" which I do not know. Understand this is used to be registred on the HD, but is no longer available after the HD-failure.

The motherboard is H-Joshua H61-uATX.

On this board the BIOS-Recovery pins are different from in the HP-documentation.

HP-doc shows 6 pins, the real thing is there are 7, room for 8 with 1 pins missing.

The service doc suggests to fidle-around the jumpers, but my reality is different and I cannot follow this rcommendation

In short:

HD-crash and replaced with new one, but BIOS requires a power-on password, which I am missing.

Jumper recommendation in HP-doc. is different from the reality.

What to do ?? Thanks for suggestions

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please see the link below...Follow the instructions under the jumper settings>clearing the password settings.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6-2400-Desktop-PC-series/5330783/model/5382517/docu...

Now the instructions as written are not complete.

I have re-written the instructions so that you will be able to clear the BIOS P/W.

To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:
  1. Turn OFF and unplug the computer.
  2. Move the jumper from pins 2-4 (default) to pins 4-6.
  3. Plug the PC back in, and power it on.  The password should now be cleared.
  4. Turn OFF and unplug the computer.
  5. Then move the jumper back to the default position (pins 2-4).
  6. Plug the PC back in, and turn ON the computer

Look at the motherboard illustration on the link above.

It appears to me that the clear CMOS/Clear BIOS password jumpers are those two blue thingies just above the dark and light blue SATA ports.

The jumpers will be labeled in white ink on the motherboard as to which is which.

You just need to move the BIOS password jumper, not the clear CMOS jumper.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Rulle

When asked for the password just hit enter 3 times.

Post any code you receive.

REO

HP Recommended

Hi:

Please see the link below...Follow the instructions under the jumper settings>clearing the password settings.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6-2400-Desktop-PC-series/5330783/model/5382517/docu...

Now the instructions as written are not complete.

I have re-written the instructions so that you will be able to clear the BIOS P/W.

To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:
  1. Turn OFF and unplug the computer.
  2. Move the jumper from pins 2-4 (default) to pins 4-6.
  3. Plug the PC back in, and power it on.  The password should now be cleared.
  4. Turn OFF and unplug the computer.
  5. Then move the jumper back to the default position (pins 2-4).
  6. Plug the PC back in, and turn ON the computer

Look at the motherboard illustration on the link above.

It appears to me that the clear CMOS/Clear BIOS password jumpers are those two blue thingies just above the dark and light blue SATA ports.

The jumpers will be labeled in white ink on the motherboard as to which is which.

You just need to move the BIOS password jumper, not the clear CMOS jumper.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the solution! I tried to follow HP's instructions on the Joshua motherboard page

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03135925

but the steps for clearing the CMOS password did not include starting the computer once with the jumper on 4-6.

Big Kudos!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There are at least 3 different motherboards where the instructions are written incorrectly like that.

2 AMD and 1 Intel (the Joshua).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.