Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6-2335ea
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

The problem I've got with my HP desktop started few weeks ago. When I turn it on it powers up, fans are running, but screen remains black - goes to sleep or displays "check the signal" info, keyboard and mouse are not powered and HDD light on the front is off.  The only thing that works is DVD drive - I can open and close it.
In the beginning it could be solved by turning it off from the power button on the front and starting again. But slowly it degraded to such point, where nothing works, except rare times that "magically" it gets power and starts.
This is working only if I shut it down from a power button in the front and immediately start it again - but as I said, it works SOMETIMES.
I've already run through the steps in documents:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6500-Desktop-PC-series/4162263/model/4215698/docume...
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336130 (Link Updated 04/26/2017)
with no success.

So far I tried the following:

- I tested it with other screen and got same behavior.

- I tried with new screen cables - DVI and analog with adapter.

- I opened the case and cleaned everything (there was not much dust, but still...). I did it with everything unplugged and made sure to ground myself.

- Checked RAM - I've got 2 RAMs in my PC (original ones) - 2GB and 4GB, I tried swapping them, running with only one in different slots - no success. Starting PC without any of them produces the correct "beeps" from motherboard though.
- Disconnected everything and held power button for about 1minute to get rid of any static - no success.

- Reset CMOS and when it didn't solve the problem I replaced the battery on motherboard - problem persists.

- Replaced VGA with the new one. I also checked with integrated VGA, but nothing. Then I put back the original VGA as it needs less power than my new one and I thought it might be a PSU issue.
- Replaced PSU with brand new Corsair, more powerful than original 300W - same story.

- There is no visible damage on motherboard, none of capacitors is puffed up, no leaks - everything looks just perfect.

- After research I also tried to disconnect memory card reader, but it didn't solve the problem.

Also, after putting the new PSU in I had another problem, where not only none of the USB or screen would be powered, but also the light on the front panel would be off, despite PC running. This was solved by resetting CMOS again, but I'm back to original issue of PC not booting and not powering peripherals as well as HDD.

Finally yesterday it did start after several failures - I had to shut it down from power button in the front and start it immediately again about 10 times. Eventually I saw HDD light coming on and the peripherals getting powered. It did restore default BIOS settings and succesfully booted. 
Funny thing is, when it manages to boot, then it runs with no problem - no restarts, no BSODs, no weird behavior, it's quiet and smooth as it should be. I did not turn my PC off since then, as I'm afraid it won't boot again, but I can't keep it running forever - it's not a solution to a problem.

Is it possible that it's RAM related problem even though I did run UEFI tests and they seem to be fine, as well as the rest of hardware?
I suspect at this point that it's motherboard issue, but I'd like to know if there is anything I could do yet and make sure that's the case before buying new one.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi there @nalladae

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that your system is experiencing problems on start up. I am happy to assist you with this.

You mentioned having run the UEFI tests, and from how you wrote that, it sounds as if you ran all of the tests, with no errors. Is that so, including the hard drive?

My original gut feeling was a problem with the power switch itself, but it does not make sense as the system does get power, and it will do a post based on your tests removing the memory.

If it does not start again, then try starting into Safe Mode.   HP PCs - Windows Safe Mode (Windows 10, 😎

If Safe Mode works consistently, then the problem is more software or driver related. If it does not work, then we are left with a corrupted Windows installation, or a board or BIOS problem.  For now, I would recommend that you make a back up of your important data to an external device, just to be safe. Then on the next crash, try Safe mode. If it does not work, then with your data backed up, you can try a factory recovery.

Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎
Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 😎

If that works then test and see if it is reliable. If not then try a BIOS restore.  The only risk here is if it starts and is interrupted. If it does not start then nothing has happened to the BIOS.

HP Desktop PCs - Recovering the BIOS

Please let me know what happens, and we can go from there. If this does resolve the issue, or indicate the problem, then please mark this post as a solution.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi @Malygris1,

Yes, I did all the UEFI tests and got no errors, hard drive included.

It came across my mind that it could be a power switch, but same as to you - it didn't make much sense to me, since the PC gets power and gives the right post signals.

The thing is, I cannot start my PC in Safe Mode, when the problem occurs, as none of the peripherals gets powered - I cannot see anything on my screen (well, except "Check the signal" info) and my keyboard is non-responsive - it doesn't get power, so I can't input any commands.

I think we can exclude corrupted Windows installation, as it runs smoothly and with no problem at all WHEN it decides to boot. As for now, I'm running my PC for 3 days straight and haven't noticed any problem or weird behavior (I don't want to shut it down, before I know what's wrong with it, because most likely it won't boot).

As for BIOS problem - I could try BIOS restore, but same as with Safe Mode - I need a keyboard & screen to perform it, which are not functional when problem occurs.

Is it possible that the connection between on/off switch cable and motherboard is faulty? If not, it looks to me as if the motherboard itself has an issue. So if I need to replace it, what you would recommend me to buy? The same exact model? And if I cannot find it, what other model? Also what will happen with my Windows license? Will I need new one?

HP Recommended

I am having the exact problem for past 6 months, everything you said has happened to me also and I've done all I can. If you get it fixed please tell me what you fixed or repleaced.
[personal information removed

HP Recommended
This is exactly what is happening to me but the problem is now it hasn't turned on in 2 weeks.

I don't know what almost all of those tests mean that she did. Can anyone repeat those in a not so techy way.
HP Recommended
I am also curious on what steps of mother board replacements I'd need to take as my computer has done every single thing the original posters pc did. I even trouble shooted it the same way.
The longest mine was off was about 6 months (got tired of trying to boot) and noticed the system date never changed.
Then in the most recent successful boot, windows didn't even load, it's came on with all my programs still on from last time, as if it were in sleep mode.
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem. The only difference is my power button led doesn't light up. It also can't be my motherboard because when I plug in my ethernet cable the blinking lights work.

Please let me know if you ever resolved your problem.

HP Recommended

Please follow the bellow steps.

• Turn off the computer and unplug all cables, except for power, and write down each cable location.
  • Unplug the power cable and press the Power button.
  • If possible, move the computer to a clear, flat, stable work surface over an uncarpeted floor.
  • Remove the panel retaining screws.
  • Slide off the panel to expose the inside of the computer.
  • Look inside the computer and locate the memory modules on the motherboard. Memory modules are long thin boards, short in height, that stick up from the motherboard at a 90-degree angle.
  • Pull out, and then press down on the holding clips that retain the memory modules. The memory modules should rise up slightly out of the socket.
  • Pull out the memory and clean the golden strip with eraser and re insert and turn on the computer

HP Recommended

EXACT same problem.  Afraid to shut down computer because it may not come back up.  Started shopping for motherboards, but was afraid that the issue could lie elsewhere.

If I moved it to another room, layed it on its side with the cover off, stared hard at the memory chip and said please please please, it would work on the 5th time.  Repeating those steps anywhere else in my house failed.

Has anyone gone ahead with the MB swap and successfully resolved this issue?

Thanks

HP Recommended

A rebuilt hard drive appears to have resolved my issue for now.  Bought a new motherboard, but never installed it.  I guess it was a hard drive issue.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.