Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion a6300f desktop
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

I have a HP Desktop PC Pavilion A6300F. When powered up, the keyboard lights flash, then goes dead (as does mouse) and the blue screen is locked  at a <f9, <f10, etc, screen... and I am not able to do anything because the keyboard acts as if it were unplugged (it is not).

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@333srh333

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion a6300f Desktop PC and when you power it on, the keyboard lights flash and also the mouse and both do not work. The blue screen is locked and no other keys works on the keyboard. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Did any hardware or software changes take place on the PC.
  • Do you have another keyboard to check with (probably a USB keyboard)?
  • Is it a blue screen with an error or is it your Windows login screen?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Press and hold the power button of the PC until it powers off.
  • Disconnect all cables from the power (including the power cable).
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds and then release it.
  • Reconnect only the keyboard, mouse, monitor and the power cable and power on the PC.

If the issue still persists then you may try to perform a BIOS rollback and check if that helps. 

I did notice that your PC came with a PS/2 compatible keyboard. Now a days these keyboard are obsolete and most of the keyboard and mouse are USB compatible. 

The PS/2 port:

• Green port is for the mouse and the purple port is for the keyboard. The devices will not worked if its connected vice versa. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know what happens. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Kazi...Thanks for your response.  No software changes...worked fine last time I turned it on.  It was stored in a box for three months (sealed). Tried another keyboard via USB...did not work.  I did the 4 steps you mentioned earlier...no results.  Mouse & keyboard are in the correct slots.  No error mesages...just a 'hp INVENT' and 'Intel' sccreen that asks to select an option, "<f9, <f10, <f11, esc, etc.   Keyboard does not work at that point to select any options.

I tried the BIOS rollback three times...just ended up with the blue screen as before without the keyboard working.  Any other thoughts?

HP Recommended

Hello 333srh333

It sounds like the motherboard USB controller might have failed. Have you tried connecting keyboard and mouse to all front and back USB 2.0 ports? The front USB 2.0 ports use a different header on the motherboard but all the USB 2.0 data runs through the southbridge. So if all ports are dead it points to the motherboard.

You could buy PS2 keyboard and mouse at Amazon or Newegg. Scroll down the Amazon link to see PS2 keyboards for sale 

Grzy

HP Recommended

thanks for the advice...tried but it did not work.  I assume the motherboard is faulty.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.