Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 14 (12,151 Views)

USB with External Mass Storage Not Working With Windows 7 Ultimate x 64

I am having trouble with my FQ591AA-ABA a6707c desktop.

My USB ports that are internal to the PC worked fine under Vista x64. When I upgraded to Windows 7 x64 they appeared to be fine except when I tried to do a backup or a sync with my iPhone. The USB ports then had problem with a file not found error. When troubleshooting it seemed that the USB port had somehow been disconnected or something. At which point I had to reboot the computer.

In doing some research it appears that this problem was present in the Beta phase of Windows 7 and only works with certain USB chipsets. The posts I discovered said that VIA chipsets were fine. As it happened I had recently bought a USB card for another computer and it was a VIA set so I installed it (Had to remove the modem card to get space). And sure enough mass storage attached to that card works fine.

Can anyone shed some light on how to fix this problem. Obviously I would like the native USB ports to work properly as who knows when else there will be a problem.

One other note, I have a USB hub (external and powered) attached and I can't get it to be recognized during power on. I had this same problem with Vista x64. After boot I have to unplug it and plug it back in then all is well. Same problem with Windows 7.

Thanks

Michael

Professor
Message 2 of 14 (12,138 Views)

Re: USB with External Mass Storage Not Working With Windows 7 Ultimate x 64

Install the latest chipset driver for Windows 7.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista_win7_64bit_15.49.html

Reboot and see if that helps at all.

Honor Student
Message 3 of 14 (12,074 Views)

I'm having exactly the same problem as  MichaelT with my week-old HP Pavilion Slimline s5229uk Desktop PC. USB hard drives are recognised and work for a while but then stop working suddenly. The usual symptom is that you can browse its folders but they all appear to be empty, or the drive stops responding when trying to copy several Gb of data or using Windows 7 backup. A reboot fixes it. Occasionally, plugging in a drive causes Windows to freeze.

At first I thought it was a problem with my two Seagate FreeAgent drives (1x 500Mb, 1x 1Tb) but my older Maxtor and WD drives also exhibit similar symptoms.

Do you think its likely to be a chipset problem in this case and if so which would be the correct drivers to install?  The ones at the link provided above do not appear to be for the chipset on this board.

Professor
Message 4 of 14 (12,067 Views)

Follow the below link and choose option 2. Then choose Motherboards Drivers and let it scan for updates.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Top Student
Message 5 of 14 (12,060 Views)

I also have a brand new s5229uk with 64-bit Windows 7.  I am experiencing intermittent ssues when writing to an external hard drive and syncing an iPod via the front USB ports, will try the driver upgrade tonight.
Highlighted
Top Student
Message 6 of 14 (12,011 Views)

Upgdading the drivers didn't sort my problems.  Because of the failure of the USB ports (to support syncing an iPod and backup to an external drive) and regular dropping of the WiFi connection I think I'm going to ask for a refund, not what I expected from a £610 PC.  My cheap Samsung netbook doesn't suffer any of these issues with the same devices/network.

Kevin

Honor Student
Message 7 of 14 (11,985 Views)

Reinstalling the drivers from link above didn't fix my problems either. I was just about to give up and consider taking it back when I thought I'd have a go at rebuilding the machine from scratch, using the HP system recovery. I did that on Wednesday and I've not had any problems since. All external hard disks and other USB devices are behaving.

I'm taking my time installing programs this time rather than doing them all at once so that if it does reoccur I have a better chance of finding out what's to blame.

Last time, the first thing I did was uninstall Norton and install AVG, before loading up anything else. This time I left Norton and haven't put AVG on. It doesn't prove AVG was to blame but it's a possibility in my case, although I guess it's more likely to be that the setup program correctly identified the hardware and installed the proper drivers second time round

Honor Student
Message 8 of 14 (11,929 Views)

I have a HP Pavilion Slimline s3730br and the same problem after I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate.

The problem is that HP din´t release the driver for download.

The only way, is to buy the Upgrade Kit.

I´ve posted in the HP Brazilian Forum screenshots from the error, in many steps.

http://h30487.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware/USB-n%C3%A3o-funciona-ap%C3%B3s-upgrade-para-Windows-7/td-p/24...

Updating the driver from NVIDIA website doesn´t fix the problem.

The problem is in the USB Mass Storage Device Driver, and you can reproduce it just trying to transfer a large file, bigger than 800mb to a pendrive.

Smiley Mad

Top Student
Message 9 of 14 (11,892 Views)

Yesterday I decided to try a system restore as well.  Unfortunately the problems still occurred after restoring so I took my s5229uk back to PC World today and they have given me a refund.

Kevin

Honor Student
Message 10 of 14 (11,822 Views)

I did download the new driver set from NVidia but that did not solve the problem with mass storage on the USB port. The problem remains unfortuntely. Anyone got any other ideas?

Note that the USB card I installed with the Via chipset is working fine so for me it is more of an inconvenience but nonetheless you would think HP would have done something about this problem by now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation