09-05-2013 08:45 AM
I have an HP Pavilion Magnesium Gray Ed p6774y Desktop PC running on Windows 7.
When I turn my PC on, I get stuck at this page (page before password page):
It could stay like this for 10+ minutes if I do nothing. None of the F keys do anything when I press any of them.
What helps is a hard reboot (i.e., while stuck at this page, unplugging the PC, then turning the PC on again). (Don't know if you call this a hard reboot, actually, but that's what I'm calling it). Simply turning it on/off does not work.
But sometimes even the hard reboot does not work. I would just try the hard reboot again.
When the PC 'gurgles' or makes wheering sounds after a hard reboot, then I know the hard reboot worked and the login page shows up. However, if after the hard reboot, the PC stays quiet (no gurgling/wheering), then I know I'm still stuck and would need to hard reboot again.
Any idea what is happening and how to fix?
09-09-2013 09:07 AM
I understand you’re saying that your computer gets stuck on the blue HP splash screen, is that correct? I will be happy to help you.
I would like you to load into the BIOS menu and run a test on your hard drive.
1. As soon as you turn the computer on tap the F10 key repeatedly
2. If successful it should lead you to a bluish color screen
3. You should then see a row of drives that start with 1St Drive
4. Select the drive that looks similar to the image below
5. Once you have selected that drive select smart support
6. Run the Smart Short Self-Test which takes about 5-8 minutes
7. Once that finishes runt he Extended Self-Test which can take 30 minutes to few hours.
Please respond back with your test results.
Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!