Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Exactly the same problem - no screen not even BIOS screen.  Removed everything inc hdd inc wireless module etc, just usb mouse/keyboard, dvd drive attached - still no screen, reset BIOS still nothing.  Removed RAM, got long beep.  tested with another graphics card that I knew was okay, nana.  Tested with another PSU which I knew was okay, nana.  tested HDD on another system = clean.   All attempts using function keys esk keys ctrl/alt/del - non worked. Ergo motherboard issue?

Replaced mobo with identical, got HP logo screen  then WDF error again, then blank screen again.  MS in booting does, as part of the genuine windows chec, check the key in BIOS (EUFI). Another dead mobo.

I can't be sure, but sounds as though there is a incompatibility between the HP BIOS and MS Windows 10 which corrupts the BIOS.

This doesn't fit all the scenarios over the last 10 pages, but maybe the there are different stages of BIOS corruption that maybe recoverable in certain cases. 

Moral of the story is not to replace the mobo with an HP mobo, and for windows 10 try to avoid using EUFI type BIOS - or of course don't use Windows 10

HP Recommended

I GOT IT TO WORK!!!

I just registered on this forum to post my findings... And I hope it's as easy for anyone else.  

I just went into the BiOS and disabled all but the front 2 USB ports, and on the next boot it came up to "Finishing update 100%" and booted up to Windows 10.  I also unplugged the Card reader from the motherboard, but not sure if that helped or not.  

Hope this helps! 

HP Recommended

Well done!

Do you have the EUFI type BIOS?  In my case in both motherboards, removing all USB headers still couldn't get the BIOS to come up, so no option to disable to rear USB ports.  There are enough cases of boards being replaced that also don't work, so it is not unreasonable to conclude that there is/was something in W10 that creates the issue in the first place; unique in my expereince of building/repairing systems over the past 18 years.

From your report and others, it does seam that symptoms do differ, so its always worth trying different options.  My guess is that the WDF error is the effect of the incompatibuility between W10 and the BIOS on these boards, and not the cause (as some seam to imply!).

HP Recommended
I have the same problem as the rest of you. Why won't factory resetting the PC work? Wouldn't that allow the original version of Windows that came with the PC to be installed? However when I try to fully clean the hard drive and factory reset it there is always an error.
HP Recommended

It is only my opinion, and others will differ, that somehow, W10 corrupts the BIOS on these HP systems; it only seams to apply to HP.  Hence in many cases, once the BIOS is corrupted, going back to a previous Windeows version won't help.

Two caveats, in some cases, if somehow you can get  back into BIOS, it may be possible to recover (then go back to W7).  In some cases,once tiotally corrupt, there is something in W10 which just does the same to a replacement boards.  For us users to undertake any research would be expensive, iin the ideal world HP should sort this out with MS - not likely to happen.

M<oral of this is not to buy or recommend HP.....................

HP Recommended
So what do you think my chances are getting my PC up and running like it used to, and what my best course of actions to get it going? I'm not that skilled in these types of things; don't even know how to get into BIOS. Thanks for responding. Your help is appreciated.
HP Recommended

Same problem as all the other comments...Never had a VIOLATION until I loaded Windows 10...my hard drive starts but that's all...black screen..can't do anything...don't have a rescue disc.Same HP computer..does any one have an answer?

HP Recommended
You would think that this problem was big enough that HP would take strides to find a solution.
HP Recommended
Only solution is to Take it to Service Centre get your motherboard replaced as soon as new motherboard is replaced and first boot up takes place roll back to Windows 8/8.1. Mine is running fine, also cancelled my scheduled Windows 10 update. Windows 10 was buggy from the start on HP machine I guess with wifi driver problems and some other. My friends who have windows 10 installed on Lenovo and Dell are all running fine. Maybe HP should look into this. 😞
HP Recommended
Also before replacing your motherboard try all you want removing any components like USB headers etc. or any other combination I had no luck with it
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.