Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-f202
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

On startup I am getting the message ' no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed'

I have purchased a new H/D,installed it and on startup I get the same message as I had on the old H/D.

As there were no disks supplied with the computer when I bought it what do I need to do to get this sucker up and working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Jimmy56,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I understand that you had a "no boot disk has been detected"  type of error on start up, and that you replaced the hard drive and have the same issue. I am happy to help with this.

If you put back the original hard drive you can use the following to test the hard drive. It is possible there was a connectivity problem and just re-seating the hard drive could make a difference. HP PCs - Hard Disk Error Displays before the Computer Starts

As to the newer hard drive you put in, if there was not an operating system installed you are going to get the same type of message. You could do the same hard drive diagnostics from the above link, just to be sure the drive is good.

Please let me know the results, but if just installing the original hard drive back in to the system works, and it starts up properly, then please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Jimmy56,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I understand that you had a "no boot disk has been detected"  type of error on start up, and that you replaced the hard drive and have the same issue. I am happy to help with this.

If you put back the original hard drive you can use the following to test the hard drive. It is possible there was a connectivity problem and just re-seating the hard drive could make a difference. HP PCs - Hard Disk Error Displays before the Computer Starts

As to the newer hard drive you put in, if there was not an operating system installed you are going to get the same type of message. You could do the same hard drive diagnostics from the above link, just to be sure the drive is good.

Please let me know the results, but if just installing the original hard drive back in to the system works, and it starts up properly, then please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Hi i really hope you can help me.
I have the same problem, "No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed"
But previously I had another problem with the screen because it was flickering and support give me a number service so I can send it for review but I have not receive the package.
Now what can I do to reestablish the system?
Please I'm desperate! I have a lot of files
HP Recommended

I am getting the error message: 

Error:  No boot disk has beendetected or the disk has failed.  Can not find a way to reboot.  No F keys working?

What can I do????

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.