Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-010 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hp Envy 700-010 Desktop windows 8, how to disable my power on password?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

See the link below, clearing the password settings.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-700-Desktop-PC-series/5358989/model/5374053/document/c03...

Now, the instructions as written are incomplete.

I have re-written them below so that the procedure listed will actually clear the password.

To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  2. Move the jumper to from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3
  3. Plug the power cord in, and turn ON the computer.  The power on password should be cleared.
  4. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  5. Then move the jumper back to default (pins 1-2).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

See the link below, clearing the password settings.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-700-Desktop-PC-series/5358989/model/5374053/document/c03...

Now, the instructions as written are incomplete.

I have re-written them below so that the procedure listed will actually clear the password.

To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  2. Move the jumper to from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3
  3. Plug the power cord in, and turn ON the computer.  The power on password should be cleared.
  4. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  5. Then move the jumper back to default (pins 1-2).
HP Recommended

Thanks for your fast repliy Paul, I understand all but where is the jumper pin please.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You will have to open the PC's case and find the clear password jumper on the motherboard.

When I look at the motherboard illustration on that webpage, there can be several places where it can be located, so I can't tell you where it is.

The good news everything should be labeled in white lettering and there should be a clr pswd jumper.

HP Recommended

Oh I see thanks so much 🙂 I'll let you know how it works.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

The jumper is going to be a tiny plastic square looking thing that sits on two pins.  The motherboard will probably have several of these things on it.

HP Recommended

Up and running like a boss, You saved me from having to take my computer to the shop Thank you. 

Cyber happy dance 🙂  🙂 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you were able to find the jumper, and clear the BIOS P/W.

HP Recommended
My HP when powered on is configured to require a password in order to start up. I don't knw the start up password
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.