Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 510-p030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to access the boot menu to allow boot from USB or DVD.  I have tried using the ESC key and just about every other key F2, F10, F12 and others.  When I turn power on I start taping the applicable key about once every second, I see the power light illuminated and I hear the hard drive running for a little while but the monitor stays blank, then the hard drive stops, the power light is still on but nothing happens.

I have also tried using the Windows 10, settings "recovery" function same results.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @RW_,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. As I understand the computer is powering on, however, doesn't have a display on the screen anymore,

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

Please attempt the below steps:

Attempt a Bios Recovery

If the above steps work and the display turns on/if not, use an alternate monitor and then: Perform a hardware test to be on a safer side.

If the steps didn't work, use the below links for further assistance: Computer Starts but Monitor/Screen Remains Blank: Click here

The document lists useful steps starting with resetting the product. More specific steps are explained depending on your issue. I believe this troubleshooting will resolve the issue.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet_Singh, 

My computer and monitor boot normally with no problem, it is only when I try to access the "boot menu" that I encounter a blank monitor screen.  I did try the Bios recovery but encounter the same issue.  

Thanks,

RW

HP Recommended

Hi @RW_,

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand the computer and monitor work fine, however you are having an issue when accessing the boot menu. Don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you to resolve this issue.

Let's try to update the Bios, Chipset drivers and graphics card drivers from our HP support website, using this link.

Please try these steps and get back to us with the results for further assistance.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have updated all of the recommended drivers.  Still same issue.

Several months ago, I upgraded my video card to an Nvidia GT730, with dual monitors.  I have updated the drivers for this card also.  I have also disconnected one of the monitors to see if that had any affect.  No change.

Once I power on the computer and press any of the function/ESC keys, I hear the hard drive for a few seconds and the computer power light is illuminated but the monitor stays blank with no indication of power on the monitor.

HP Recommended

Hi @RW_,

Thanks for the update,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would suggest here is to remove the graphics card and then try to turn on the PC and check if it boots. 

If it fails to boot, I would suggest the next step would be to reseat the memory and the hard drive.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.