Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hp compaq d530SFF,  windows xp professional,  red lights flash and unit beeps upon trying to boot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is what I would do...

Turn the PC off and unplug it.  Then press the power button to drain any residual power from the motherboard.

1. Remove and reseat the memory module(s). Restart the PC.

2. If removing and reseating the memory module(s) doesn't work, if you have more than one memory module installed, remove all but one, and start the PC.

Test each memory module one at a time, until you find the one that is bad.

If none of that works, check for bulging and leaking capacitors on the motherboard. These may be particularly noticeable around the processor area.

Paul

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is a pattern to the beep codes.

Look at the table below, and you will find out what your PC is trying to tell you.

Chassis LED and Beep Messages

Power LED # Beeps Event

Steady green None S0 System on (normal operation)

Blinks green @ 0.5 Hz None S1 Suspend

Blinks green @ 0.5 Hz None S3 Suspend to RAM

Off (clear) None S4 Suspend to disk

Off (clear) None S5 Soft off

Blinks red 2 times @ 1 Hz [1] None Processor thermal shutdown

Blinks red 3 times @ 1 Hz [1] None Processor not seated / installed

Blinks red 4 times @ 1 Hz [1] None Power supply failure

Blinks red 5 times @ 1 Hz [1] 5 Memory error

Blinks red 6 times @ 1 Hz [1] 6 Video error

Blinks red 7 times @ 1 Hz [1] 7 PCA failure

Blinks red 8 times @ 1 Hz [1] 8 Invalid ROM checksum (error)

NOTE:

[1] Repeated after 2 second pause

Paul

HP Recommended

Blinks red 5 times is a memory error.  How do I rectify the problem?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is what I would do...

Turn the PC off and unplug it.  Then press the power button to drain any residual power from the motherboard.

1. Remove and reseat the memory module(s). Restart the PC.

2. If removing and reseating the memory module(s) doesn't work, if you have more than one memory module installed, remove all but one, and start the PC.

Test each memory module one at a time, until you find the one that is bad.

If none of that works, check for bulging and leaking capacitors on the motherboard. These may be particularly noticeable around the processor area.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thank you,  it worked.  I had to remove one of the memory boards. Again,  Thank YOu !!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome!

HP Recommended
My problem is beep #7 - Blinks red 7 times @ 1 Hz [1] 7 PCA failure
What is the solution for it? Thanks.
HP Recommended

What do I do when my computer blinks red 5 times and it's a memory error?

HP Recommended

@kkoone1 wrote:

@kkoone1 wrote:

HP Recommended

Hello Esther31,

Paul_Tikkanen provided some steps on testing the memory of the computer. Have you tried those steps?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.