Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
  1. Click Start  All Programs.
  2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.

Type regedit, and then click OK.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

MAKE BACKUP OF REGISTRY

1. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

1. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.
    Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
  2. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  3. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  4. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
  5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  7. Exit Registry Editor.
  8. Restart the computer.
HP Recommended

hey there,sorry i may have not understood the prob here,if you're cd dvd driver is missing trya disable your cd dvd first from

device manager then uninstall it,scan for hardwar changees by clicking on action,up date ur dvd driver and let xp do it's job.

it worked for me at least THANX

HP Recommended

Hey Kiran, you just made my day...Thanks!!!! 😄

I recognized the problem by having a shutter mouse...I checked the device manager and found my DVD RAM in trouble, well, not working at all.

With your help everything is working again

Cheers, man!

J

HP Recommended

I have a problem with my CD/DVD drive.My hp pavilion dv6500 laptop is not recognize the drive, dos not show up in the device manager.Before time my CD/DVD is working .but right now my CD/DVD is not working.so i cannot format a system .while no problem in hardware.plz tell me any option and send me my Email ID [text removed to protect privacy]

Thanks and warm regrads

Rajeev Ranjan Singh

[text removed to protect privacy]     

India ,Dehli

HP Recommended

I apologize for evidently NOT RESPONDING to the numerous suggestions.

I received ALL of the suggestions from the forum together on 9/3/2011.

I do not know why they all were delayed, except that HP indicated that there was a problem.

Now, I have tried every suggestion.

Nothing worked, even temporarily.

HP itself is dodging an apparent serious defect in the BIOS of the equipment and how Windows Vista deals with the actual hardware resources provided.

This should NOT be a user responsibility to continuously fix a manufacturer's defect.

Obviously my unit is not the ONLY HP Pavilion dv6500 with this problem.

Maybe this is why HP is getting out of the PC business.

HP Recommended

Actually, it's a dv2700.  CD/DVD drive recognized sometimes....but not usually....even an external drive, sometimes, sometimes not.  Tried the fixes suggested....no luck.  This laptop has done many weird things, but it all seemed to start after Service Pack 1 was installed.  Would like to fix this problem first, if possible, then look into solutions for the many other weird things this laptop is doing.  Wish I had never bought it.

HP Recommended

I have used the Fixit, and it simply does not work.

I have tried all of the suggestions, so far, but the CD/DVR is simple lost in Windows Vista.

The suggestions to use a USB flash drive device to copy and paste from or to but an external CD/DVR drive unit.

The BIOS sees the hard drive during the boot, but it is not available to Windows Vista.

This is the operating system provided by HP originally. What has happened?

HP Recommended

Hi hcb35

I also have the same problem, also try the same thing as you but without success. Do you have since January been fix the problem???

HP Recommended

I followed your suggestions for the 4 IDE items listed, and the two ATA Controllers. However, after 4 full shut down and  restarts (no request to delete drivers appeared) there is no references to CD/DVD/DVR that appear.

HP Recommended

Finally i found this post and it worked.

RE: I know this is a really old post but I found a solution for my computer that I didn't find on the internet.  My DVD drive wouldn't show up in the device manager either.  I tried drivers, deleted the upper and lower registry files...changing dvd drives...I tried everything I could find on the internet to fix this problem..and nothing worked.  Today I download MagicISO and MagicDisc to burn an .iso image...I guess the virtual drive installed a driver when I installed MagicDisc...my DVD burner is working now and showing up in the device manager as well as my virtual drive and I am running Windows 7 on a DV9000 HP pavillion notebook.  I hope anyone else reading this with this problem is able to solve thier issue with this solution. I have been searching for months!!!  GoodLuck!

http://download.cnet.com/MagicDisc/3000-7970_4-10383679.html

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.