Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a problem with my CD/DVD drive.

My hp pavilion dv6500 laptop is not recognize the drive, dos not show up in the device manager, I right click on the IDE adapters to scan for changes, I hold down the F9 to see the start up order of the drives it’s OK accordingly to factory settings and I would like to ask some one help or advice what to do. My cd/dvd drive was working when I installed the new operating system from the CD on the new WD SATA hard drive. I have not portioned the new HD during installation of the OS because I need all the space on the HD. When I checked the drive letters I only have seen a C drive. Missing the call letter for the CD/DVD drive ‘example E’ for the cd/dvd drive.

The commuter is running great now, but I using an external HP CD drive to install all my software. I using the Driver Detective software to trying to detect the cd/dvd drive, but it’s useless. I do hear the drive when I put in a CD or DVD it is connected to the internal power source, but not been seen or recognized. If any one can help I would be very grateful. [text removed for privacy]

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

Hi,

You could try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Vista

If the above fix hasn't worked, try the following.  From the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Click to open the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.  Right click on the first channel and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When uninstalled repeat the process for each channel.  Also if an ATA controller is listed, right click and uninstall this.  Again, do not delete drivers if asked.

Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  If your optical drive appears here, right click and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.

Restart your PC and let Windows re-install these devices.  Give it a minute or two, then see if the drive is working.

Let me know how it goes.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you David for the advice, I will try your suggestion and let you know what was the outcome.

HP Recommended

Ok, look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David,

I followed your suggestion I was clicking on the uninstall, but than I cancelled to ovoid the deleting. Restarted the computer the DVD-CD drive light is come on in the restart but the drive letter like E or D in "My Computer" for the optical drive is not showing up. Is there any good ideal? Please let me know. Thank Joe 

HP Recommended

Hi Joe,

Go back to Device Manager and try uninstalling the drive again ( only say no when asked if you wish to delete drivers ).  When the drive is uninstalled it will disappear from Device Manager.  Now restart the PC and see if it shows up properly.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Have had similar problems after reinstalling an xp downgrade, Dvd ID instances were incorrect, after weeks of installing new drives and searching I finally cured my problem by downloading DisparitionCD.inf from a french web site, (use popular search engine to find it) So far no more problems, hope this helps

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Does it has any Yellow ! mark against in Device Manager under CD/DVD Drives category, if so, right click on the Yellow marked entry, and click Uninstall.

Run the patch given below. 

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/cd_restore.reg

Click on the URL , click Run, click Yes to add the file to registry. 

Go to Device Manager Again, click Action tab and click Scan for hardware changes. 

Check if CD/DVD Drive works.

If the CD/DVD Drive is not detected in Device Manager, and BIOS, you need to reseat the Data Cable for CD/DVD from Motherboard,

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
HP Recommended

After spending over $200 on "Software" solution, I finally found this the answer here.  Fix It resolve my problem!  The $200, well I just its just my way of stimulating the economy!!!!!!

HP Recommended

I have tried, repeatedly, your suggestions. There are 2 "0" devices that after one of them is uninstalled, the  other will not uninstall and instead requires a restart. The "0" versus the "1" drives seem to randomly be re presented in the Device Manager, after the restart, so tracking one of the "o" drives for uninstall does not seem possible.

I can see the CD-DVD drive in the F-9 set-up drives to boot from, but no where else. I have NOT tried to make that CD-DVD the actual drive to boot from however.

This seems to be a very common problem with the HP Pavilion Entertainment PC when reverting from Windowd XP Profesional  /SP3 back to Vista Home Professional after all Security updates and windows updates are made.

Someone at HP and Windows has dropped the ball on this obvious conversion problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.