Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How do you set the Super Multi Drive CD/DVD Player back to Code 0? Just bought the computer a couple of weeks ago.  I was tricked into setting it to 1, but I want it back to ZERO.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

You can change the Region code a few, limited times. Figure out which Region you want to use and make it permanent:. The following document shows you how (from the drive's Device Properties).

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01897830#N1130

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended
Thanks for that information. It was helpful but did not resolve the resetting issue.
HP Recommended

Ahhh, OK. Well, there is a reason why it is so difficult... the region code is DRM. To get it back to the way it was, Region = Unselected, Region Free, or Region Zero, would require updating the drive's firmware with a modified version and modifying the Windows Registry. There is a handshake that occurs between the info stored inthe drive's firmware and Windows setup. There are software tools available to do this, but I have to ask you to do the research yourself using your favorite Internet search engine. HP does not provide software tools or firmware to defeat region code settings.

Thank you.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended
Yes, I'm aware of all the sites that supposedly reset firmware. Many are for 2004 models. One site looked promising but upon closer inspection they are for "living room" DVD players. I think it is a myth about software changing the firmware.
HP Recommended

This is stupid!

The first dvd I tried on my HPE-510f won't play because it is a region 0 dvd.  I  had this problem with the last HP I bought: a dv1040us, purchased in 2004!  HP supplied a fix so that it could play regions 0 and 1.  Region 0 was implemented so that DVD authors could make their product universally available.

Changing the region in the preferences is no good because of the limited number of times that can be done.

HP:  FIX IT!!

HP Recommended

Really HP hacked the Region Code for you to use on your first computer: 

This is stupid!

The first dvd I tried on my HPE-510f won't play because it is a region 0 dvd. I had this problem with the last HP I bought: a dv1040us, purchased in 2004! HP supplied a fix so that it could play regions 0 and 1. Region 0 was implemented so that DVD authors could make their product universally available.

Changing the region in the preferences is no good because of the limited number of times that can be done.

HP: FIX IT!!   I don't think I would hold my breath waiting for HP to fix it.

I have never seen a manufacture hack a DVD Region Code before.  The US is in Region 1. I also have no experience with a  universal Region code due to DVD Movie makers complaining about pirated software. Does someone actually have a DVD Player that will play movies from China, Thailand or other far Eastern Countries. Sure would beat paying $25.00-$40.00 for movies that can be purchased elsewhere for a fraction of that.

HP Recommended

someone please tell how to reset dvd in laptop back to 0 region. vista basic.

HP Recommended

I'm working on solving the same problem. My understanding is that the optical drives hp puts in it's computer (as do other manufacturers, it seems) are intentionally crippled with non-functional firmware. Firmware, for those who don't know, is a small piece of software that controls some part of hardware (not to be confused with the driver). These broken pieces of firmware are called RPC-2. It is possible, for people with enough technical knowledge, to make RPC-1 firmware (aka: firmware that actually works). However, in order to do this access is needed to the RPC-2 firmware. If you do a search for RPC-1 you'll find much more information.  I'm know trying to get a hold of the RPC-2 firmware for my drive, a TSSTcorp TS-L633M, firmware version 0200. Unfortunately the firmware for this exact type is needed, and it's not easy to find... 

HP Recommended

You don't need any of such. With the exception of an outer cover, a drives guts are all the same and made in China. It's just Hp's way of being **bleep**. Just use the Lite-on utility and change regions back to 5 as many times as you like. The file is "LTNRPC.EXE" and is available on line. Just use your search engine.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.