Question

Honor Student
Evildude
Message 1 of 14 (4,724 Views)

Bluray drive does not work in HP Pavillion Elite e9240f out of the box (bad purchase)

Problem:

Sporadic and intermitent issue: When trying to watch a bluray-formatted movie, the media software screen goes black and reads "insert disk."  When this happens, if you look under "device manager" or "my computer," the bluray drive (F:\) is gone.  Rebooting the computer does not solve this problem.  After spending a lot of time with tech support (poor audio quaility because they're in India) I found out that the only wat to fix this is to open the tower, unplug the drive power and graphic card cables, reconnect and boot up again.

Sometimes this takes care of the problem and you can watch your movie, but sometimes it happens as you're watching it.  It seems to me that this is a operating system (Windows7 64-bit) or driver-related problem.  Tech support helped me download the latest drive but the problem persists.  I first though that I had a "lemon" product so I returned the computer and got a new one yesterday.  The nightmare was that this happened again and this time right out of the box.

Does HP tech support or anyone else have have suggestions on how to fix this problem?  Any ideas about a software patch or updated driver?  I don't want to open the tower eveytime that this happens...  I'm thinking about returning the computer and getting my money back.

Tutor
hawbaked
Message 2 of 14 (4,668 Views)

Re: Bluray drive does not work in HP Pavillion Elite e9240f out of the box (bad purchase)

I bought two of these e9240fs.  Same exact problem.  Will not reliably play a Blu Ray disk.  L:smileysurprised:aded latest HP patch.  Better, but still no go.  Downloaded Cyberlink update.  No go.  Can not find an updated firmware for the drive.

Anybody have a solution?  I'm thinking about buying a different Blu Ray playing software, or even a drive.

Honor Student
shiumai
Message 3 of 14 (4,621 Views)

Re: Bluray drive does not work in HP Pavillion Elite e9240f out of the box goes for the e9250t

I wish I had an answer for you but I am piling on here hoping someone will find a answer.  I recieved a Elite e9250t earlier this month with a Blu Ray/DVD combo drive.  DVD runs fine but I am very frustrated with getting the BluRay to work.   Will not recognize Blu Ray DVDs.   I thought it was because I was running multiple monitors but it did not solve the issue.   So far I am 0 for 2 with Blu Ray movies from Netflix.   Drivers all seem to be updated.  I am at a loss.   It's a HL-DT-ST optical drive model : BDDVDRWCH10L.   Firmware version BC2A.  I even paid for an upgrade for the CyberLink software but that did not solve the issue.    Any suggestions welcomed.

Honor Student
Evildude
Message 4 of 14 (4,333 Views)

Re: Bluray drive does not work in HP Pavillion Elite e9240f out of the box (bad purchase)

These problem persists though very sporadic.  I'm on my second HP elite e9240f with the same issues.  I send the original one back after extensive troubleshooting with tech support.  After reading similar posts, I think the problem happens because of a software problem/crash.  I'm thinking about sending this computer back and getting my money back.

DO NOT BUY THESE PRE-CONFIGURED COMPUTERS...!!!!

Student
ruliffson
Message 5 of 14 (4,293 Views)

I too have no answers only similar problems.  The tech support has asked that I personally reinstall a new blu ray drive that they will be sending me.  After reading these posts it seems that would be a bad idea not least for having a novice like myself open the drives and fiddle with the hardware.  Why doesn't anyone from HP respond to our posts...

Top Student
Mytechsupport
Message 6 of 14 (4,254 Views)

Hi

Blue ray will onle work with 1 screen ..if u  have an external monitor connected ..it will not play on both...

if u wanna play blue and watch it on the external monitor then u have to change the display settings....

Tutor
hawbaked
Message 7 of 14 (4,253 Views)

Disregarding dual monitor issues, there is definitely something wrong with these e9240f desktops.  I believe the problem is the firmware in the Lite On DH403S drive.  That drive will not play reliably a Blu Ray disk with MediaSmart.  The only way I could play a Blu Ray was to replace the drive.  I bought two of these systems brand new for Christmas.  I should not have to buy replacement drives.  I am still waiting for HP to comment or release some more information on this issue.  It is obvious that many people are having the same problem.  Is anybody doing anything?

Grad Student
y2ken
Message 8 of 14 (4,234 Views)

[ Edited ]

Has anyone tried updating their graphics card drivers? BluRay is very dependent on good graphics card performance. There is a graphics card update listed on the HP site dated 12-2009 Version 8.653.0.0. The original version graphics driver was 10-2009 v8.620.0.0

Here's the link to the download page:

Graphics Driver Update

Also, be advised that your monitor must also be capable of 1920 x 1080 resolution and be HDCP compatible.

:smileywink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the White Star.

Student
cellhead
Message 9 of 14 (4,209 Views)

I have the same problem, with a Pavilion m9100Z, and have tried pretty much everything. It seems pretty apparent to me that HP could care less about this issue!  :smileymad:

Tutor
wtxgringo
Message 10 of 14 (3,749 Views)

i keep my gpu & audio drivers current, so that's not the issue with the e9240f. it's hp & mediasmart & cyberlink. after i purchased different software & a different drive, have no probs watching blu ray now. amazing! asked hp if they would take the dh403s back & credit my account & what??? NO??? how rude lol. se la vi!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation