Burning Videos to DVD (895 Views)
Student
tinnerman1
Message 1 of 6 (895 Views)

Burning Videos to DVD

I am trying to burn videos taken with my camera to dvd but it tells me they are not a supported file type(MP4) and cannot be imported. Is there a way to get these to copy?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (890 Views)

Re: Burning Videos to DVD

Hi,

You will need to convert your MP4 files in to Mpeg2 compatible IFO and VOB files which can then be burnt to, and read from a DVD disc.  The free program on the link below should help you to do this.

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

JCK Honor Student
Honor Student
JCK
Message 3 of 6 (809 Views)

re: the conversion of MP4 files.  After I recieved a Flip UltraHD video camera for Xmas, I purchased a new HP computer with enough processing speed and Ram that was required by the Flip software.  I too, couldn't burn my Flip videos to DVD without first converting them from MP4.

I have a few questions: 

I have been converting my Flip MP4 files to .wmv in order to burn them to a disk. Is the Mpeg2 format a better quality file format than .wmv. ? I now convert my files with FreeMake and burn my DVD's with Nero Vision Extra.

I assume that by converting to another file type from MP4, that my DVD's will not play in HD ?

What is the reason that MP4 files are not able to be directly burned to a DVD?

FreeMake says my grapics card is not Cuda capable,so I have to convert my MP4 files, see below:

CUDA is NVIDIA’s parallel computing architecture. It enables dramatic increases in computing performance by harnessing the power of the GPU.

With millions of CUDA-enabled GPUs sold to date, software developers, scientists and researchers are finding broad-ranging uses for CUDA, including image and video processing, computational biology and chemistry, fluid dynamics simulation, CT image reconstruction, seismic analysis, ray tracing, and much more. 

In the consumer market, nearly every major consumer video application has been, or will soon be, accelerated by CUDA, including products from Elemental Technologies, MotionDSP and LoiLo, Inc.

Does HP have a Cuda capable graphics card, and would that enable me to burn DVD's in MP4 format with HD quality

with my Flip Video software?

Thanks for any answers

Jeff K.

Distinguished Professor
TheOldMan
Message 4 of 6 (769 Views)

If the question is "Mpeg2 format a better quality file format than .wmv."  Or the mention of MP4 files on DVD, for that matter.  Dvd demands that the files are in the MPeg2 format.  Otherwise, it is not a DVD, it is something else.  If the intended finished product is to play in a standard DVD player, then the files will have to be mpeg2.  DVDFlick is a good free DVD authoring system that can make most any video file into a standard DVD and burn it to a DVD.  See here: http://www.dvdflick.net/

Also standard DVD's are not HD video.  If HD is wanted/needed, then the resulting product needs to be a BluRay and the appropriate authoring software and hardware.  Either that or a system that can write and read HD content such as DivxHD to a DVD and a player that can read DivxHD.

{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Top Student
adamsa
Message 5 of 6 (727 Views)

DVD files are in MPEG2 format.  If you are converting to WMV first, you are performing two conversions, when only one is necessary.  Try DVD Author Plus, it will perform an automatic conversion to MPEG2 while burning your movies to a video DVD that will work in any DVD player.  Download it here:
http://www.deskshare.com/dvd-authoring-burning-software.aspx

JCK Honor Student
Honor Student
JCK
Message 6 of 6 (712 Views)

DVD burning issue resolved.:smileyhappy:

I installed Nero Vision burning software. At first it would not import the Flip mp4 videos for DVD authoring.

Just by happenstance, I was working with Nero   without IE8    running, and it worked flawlessly. It seems that Internet Explorer has either a driver or some application the conflicts with both Freemake and Nero Vision programs.  I have switched  to Mozilla Firefox for my default browser, dumped IE8. I guess you have to leave IE8 in the OS , as removing it would cause some OS problems, or so I have been told. 

On a related note, I wonder why the Flip video camers and others record in an mp4 format?

Wouldn't an MPEG2 format solve the conversion problems?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation