Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

If you are looking for a CD/DVD or Blu-ray drive update then use Imgburn to find the update if available.

1. Download and install Imgburn (it's a freebie). Uncheck the ASK Toolbar installation.
  2. Launch Imgburn and click on Mode and select Discovery.
  3. Be sure that Destination is set to the target CD/DVD drive needing the firmware update.
  4. Then select:  Tools ---> Drive ----> Check for Firmware updates.

Firmware updates generally are released for media compatibility issues but also can correct other drive problems.

Imgburn Discovery.jpg

Imgburn Firmware.jpg

You can also go directly to FIRMWARE HQ.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello Big_Dave,

I tried imgburn and as I followed your directions, it says it can find no drives. Both of my drives are running and won't open.

In the FirmwareHQ site, there are no drives listed as ATAPI (the name for my first drive). The list in HP doesn't include the new drive I have dvd1260i.

I can't log into the discussion forum in roxio. Please help.

HP Recommended

HI,

Try the tips listed under this post

Do you have media in the drives?  If yes, then power off your PC and use a straghten large size paper clip and insert it into the tiny hole that each optical drive has and see if you can manually eject the media.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

HI again,

I did find there was media in the drives. With both discs out, imgburn saw and id'd the drives. I feel since HP doesn't list any firmware update for my new drive, it is ok. The ATAPI DVD A DH16A1L (the origional drive with this computer) doen't show in any of the lists for potential updated firmware. Do you know of a way I can ID this drive?

These drives both work fine for everything except burning double layer discs in Roxio Creator 2011. The play, they read and move files to other hdd's, they write single layer discs fine. During the past 24 hours, I've burned 2 DL discs successfully in the 'Copy and Convert process in Roxio. Jim_Hardin says it just won't work. He recommends using data burn. I've had that work from the VIDEO_TS folder on a hdd. The default in the new install of Roxio is to also make an ISO image file so I have some on the old hdd. I'll try to burn from that next time.

The link to many different issues on optical medial drives is excellent. I've been through many of those things, and learned of some more.

I am very pleased with my new 1T hdd and tne new install of Win7 and Roxio. I've compared many different blank media, 5 different dvd drives (3 of them burners), 2 Win7 computers. I've still wasted 6 expensive Verbatim dl discs with failed DL burn attempts. I think the issue is with Creator 2011. Of course, Roxio is now pushing 2012 at another cost of 100$$.. Do you know of anything in 2012 that will improve this situation.

Also, I can''t log into Roxio discussion groups. Maybe they are tired of hearing from me.

Thanks, Bill

HP Recommended

Hi,

I can't sign on to ROXIO either on my main PC using W7 64 bit.  I have to reboot to W7 32 bit.  It's the only forum that I have the problem.

Did you try burning a DL disk with your data as an ISO file on the hard drive using Imgburn?

Go into Device Manager and right mouse click on the optical drive and select properties.  Now select details and then hardware IDs.  What do you see for VEN and DEV  (vendor and device)?  Sometimes the hardware IDs and be used to locate firmware updates.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'll wait till tomorrow to see if Roxio responds to the update on my support ticket about logging on to the support forum with Win7-64.

I downloaded ImgBurn and used it to id my drives as best as I could. Of course, the new one came up accurately as my HP drive (HP having no update for it's firmware). And the ATAPI drive couldn't be ID'd. I saw the functions to burn discs in the software and tried to add a file from my hundreds of video files and there was none of a format that ImgBurn recognized. I looked at the list of acceptable file formats and didn't see one I knew I had, so I uninstalled it. If you know it can manage flv, wmv, mp2, etc. I am willing to try it again.

I followed your directions to id the drive with the success below.

Upon reading your last post, I opened Roxio and started a BurnDataDisc process with the ISO file. It now has 33 minutes to go.

Bid_Dave, If this burn is successful, I think Roxio and I are coming to a meeting and with my new dvd burner, we can get along. And because this new dvd burner seems to be working fine, I really don't think I need to tinker with its firmware. 

Can I ask another question? With this new virgin hdd, new install of Win7, and a current install of IE9, I want to cause my clicks on a link to open in a new window. That is probably a simple setting issue, but I don't see it.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

🙂  Bill

ATAPI.PNG

HP Recommended

The burn went the full time, but the disc is unreadable!!!

Bummer

Disc Copy and Convert has been the best option for me.

I am ticked!

::smileymad:

HP Recommended

Hi,

Are you using the retail version of Roxio 2011?  If yes, did you install the Roxio 2011 service pack 1?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, I have the retail copy of Creator 2011. And yes, each time I install it, it downloads and installs Service Pack 1. Sometimes, it has said the service pack is not applicable to this computer. But on this install, it went ahead with the SP1 install successfully.

I went to a meeting in Vidalia tonight. Before I left, I turned off my computer and when I came back, I turned it back on. The screen gave me the BSOD,, Black Screen of Death. It said there was a failure of some piece of hardware, and to insert my Win7 install disc and restart, then use the boot disc to repair. Well, I changed the boot preference to the dvd drive and inserted the disc and restarted.. Tried this 5-6 times with the same result each time.

I have a much bigger problem than Roxio now. I still haven't heard back form Roxio about logging in or the firmware request.

Hope to figure this out. It is late tonight. Will ask my son tomorrow. Will call Microsoft Technical Support tomorrow too.

Thanks again.

Bill

HP Recommended

Hi,

BSODs are no fun.:smileymad:  Try booting up in Windows safe mode.

Based on the information you posted on the hardware ID's, you might look over this HP update.  Imgburn will tell you what your current firmware level is so you might be at this level or past it.  It's a 5-2007 dated update.

BTW, stick with Jim and CD on the Roxio forum.  They are good people.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.